You may go to the Outback Steakhouse for the red meat, but the wonderful dark bread served before the food arrives is definitely a highlight of the meal. Luckily, you can make your own loaf at home with this copycat version.
The bread is slightly sweet and loaded with fiber thanks to the rye flour. This recipe will make two large loaves or six mini loaves and, when wrapped correctly, this bread freezes beautifully.
Source: Restaurant Recipe Secrets: And Other Classified Information for Imitating Famous Food at Home, by Gloria Pitzer, Secret Recipes Books. (Out of print.)
- 3 packages dry yeast
- 1 1/2 cups warm water (divided)
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 cup dark molasses
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 tablespoons neutral oil (vegetable or canola)
- 2 cups rye flour
- 2 1/2 to 3 cups all-purpose flour
Make the Dough
- Gather the ingredients.
- Sprinkle yeast over 1/2 cup warm water in a 2-cup measuring cup.
- Stir in sugar and let stand 6 minutes or until bubbly.
- Meanwhile, in a large mixing bowl, combine the remaining 1 cup warm water with molasses, salt, oil, and rye flour. Beat until a smooth batter is achieved.
- Add yeast mixture, stirring to combine.
- Work in all-purpose flour until dough is smooth and no longer sticky. It should be very pliable and elastic. Knead a few minutes.
- Place dough in a greased bowl and let rise until doubled. Punch down.
- At this point, you can either make 2 large loaves or 6 mini loaves.
For Large Loaves
- Preheat oven to 375 F. Grease a baking sheet and dust with cornmeal.
- Shape dough into 2 large round loaves and place a few inches apart on baking sheet.
- Let loaves rise in a warm place until doubled in size.
- Bake large loaves for about 30 minutes or until crust makes a hollow sound when tapped with knuckles.
- Remove from oven and immediately transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. (Leaving them on the pan to cool could result in a soggy bottom crust.)
For Mini Loaves
- Preheat oven to 375 F. Grease 6 mini loaf pans and dust with cornmeal.
- Divide the dough evenly among the 6 pans. Place mini loaf pans on dry, un-greased cookie sheets a few inches apart and let loaves rise in a warm place until doubled in size.
- Once doubled in size, bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven and turn out of pans onto a wire rack to cool completely.
About Rye Flour
Rye flour is available in three varieties—light, medium, and dark—and the distinctions reflect how much bran and germ each type contains, the dark having the most. A light rye flour may taste more like a whole grain bread, while medium and dark will give you that anticipated rye flavor and density in the Outback dark bread.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|