This popular oven barbecued chicken is easy to prepare with a delicious homemade barbecue sauce.
Use a cut-up chicken, chicken halves or quarters, or use thighs or whole legs in the recipe. Boneless chicken thighs would also work well in this recipe.
- 3 1/2 to 4 pounds chicken pieces
- 2 teaspoon salt (or more as needed)
- 1 teaspoon black pepper (ground; or more as needed)
- Optional: garlic powder
- Barbecue Sauce:
- 3/4 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Dash of pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- Heat the oven to 350 F.
- Sprinkle the chicken pieces liberally with salt and pepper. Sprinkle lightly with garlic powder, if using.
- In a saucepan, combine barbecue sauce ingredients, blending well. Bring to a gentle boil over medium heat. Reduce the heat to low and continue simmering for 1 minute.
- Arrange the chicken pieces in a shallow roasting pan or baking dish skin side down in a single layer. Brush the chicken with about half of the sauce.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 25 minutes.
- Turn the chicken skin side up. Brush with remaining barbecue sauce.
- Bake until juices of the legs and thighs run clear when pierced with a fork and temperature reads at least 165 F, about 20 to 30 minutes longer.
- Broil briefly for a few minutes in the end if you'd like crispier skin.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||57 g|
|Saturated Fat||16 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||22 g|
|Dietary Fiber||0 g|