|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Servings: 8 to 10 Servings|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 20g||26%|
|Saturated Fat 8g||39%|
|Total Carbohydrate 22g||8%|
|Dietary Fiber 3g||11%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
This easy oven-braised beef brisket is baked to perfection with a variety of vegetables, including potatoes, celery, and carrots. The beef is simply seasoned with salt and pepper, along with tomatoes and onions, and some parsley.
Serve the tender beef brisket with the potatoes and vegetables.
- 3-4 pounds beef brisket (not corned beef)
- 1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt (divided)
- 3 large carrots (cut into pieces about 3 inches in length)
- 3 large celery stalks (cut into pieces about 3 inches in length)
- 1 large onion (sliced)
- 2 medium tomatoes (peeled, cored, and cut into 1 1/2-inch chunks–or 1 cup diced canned tomatoes)
- 1/4 cup fresh chopped parsley
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 6 medium potatoes (red-skinned quartered, about 1 1/2 pounds)
Preheat oven to 325 F.
Sprinkle the beef brisket with the coarsely ground pepper and 1/2 teaspoon of salt. In a large skillet, brown brisket, fat-side down, over high heat; turn and brown the other side and then set the skillet aside.
Place the beef brisket in shallow 3- to 4-quart baking dish or Dutch oven. Arrange the carrots, celery, onion, tomato, and parsley sprigs around the meat.
In a 1-cup liquid measuring cup or small bowl, mix the flour with 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1 cup water. Pour flour mixture into skillet, stirring to loosen any brown bits from the bottom of skillet.
Pour skillet juices over the brisket and vegetables. Cover tightly and bake for 2 hours.
Add the quartered potatoes to the brisket and sprinkle with the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt. Cover and bake for 30 minutes longer or until potatoes and brisket are fork-tender.