Short ribs are braised in the oven with carrots and potatoes, along with other vegetables. It's an easy and delicious dish.
- 3 pounds beef short ribs (cut in 3-inch pieces)
- 1 to 2 cups flour (all-purpose)
- 2 or 3 dashes salt
- 2 or 3 dashes pepper
- 2 tablespoons shortening (or vegetable oil)
- 1 cup beef broth
- 2 carrots (diced)
- 3 medium red potatoes (peeled and quartered)
- 4 small onions (sliced)
- 1/2 pound green beans (fresh cut)
Heat the oven to 300 F.
Dredge meat with flour; season with salt and pepper.
Heat the oil or shortening in a Dutch oven over high heat; brown short ribs on all sides. Add beef broth to the pot.
Cover and bake for 2 hours, or until very tender, basting frequently with pan liquid.
Add the carrots, potatoes, onions, and green beans and continue cooking for 45 minutes to 1 hour, or until the vegetables are tender.
Transfer the meat to a platter. Arrange vegetables around meat.