Apple juice and onions help make this a tender and delicious roast. Chop the tender, juicy meat and heat it with barbecue sauce for a fabulous meal. This is delicious served with macaroni and cheese or scalloped potatoes, or serve it in buns with pickles, slaw, and baked beans.
- 1 bone-in pork shoulder roast, about 6 pounds
- 2 medium onions, peeled and sliced or coarsely chopped
- 2 1/2 teaspoons of a seasoning blend for pork or chicken or salt and pepper
- 1 cup apple juice
- 1 to 1 1/2 cups barbecue sauce
- Lightly grease a large covered Dutch oven or casserole.
- Heat oven to 300°.
- Put onions in the casserole. Rub the pork with the seasoning blend or sprinkle generously with salt and pepper. Place the roast on the onions and add apple juice. Cover and bake for 5 hours, basting occasionally.
- Remove the roast to a large platter and shred or chop the meat. Discard bones and fat.
- Strain the juices and put the solids back into the casserole or Dutch oven. Discard the liquids. Add the shredded or chopped pork. Add barbecue sauce and stir to blend ingredients. Cover and bake for 30 minutes, or until hot and bubbly.
- This is delicious served with macaroni and cheese or scalloped potatoes, or serve it in buns with pickles, slaw, and baked beans.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||50 g|
|Saturated Fat||18 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||23 g|
|Dietary Fiber||1 g|