Need a low-fat and vegan way to prepare eggplant? Or, wondering how to broil eggplant in the oven? Sometimes, you just want a simple oven-roasted vegetable dish that you don't have to fuss over or worry about, or, in my case, sometimes your next door neighbor's garden has a ton of eggplant, and you need to figure out different ways to use up all this wonderful fresh eggplant he keeps on giving you! After a long season of eggplant and basil pizza, eggplant and potato curries, and Indian roasted eggplant baigan ka bharta and a whole lot of Middle Eastern baba ghanoush, and of course traditional Italian eggplant marinaras, sometimes, something simple like this oven-broiled eggplant is quite refreshing. I've also made this recipe on the outdoor grill before, using the grill as an oven by placing the eggplant on a baking sheet instead of directly on the grill.
Here's a simple broiled eggplant recipe for a side dish or vegetarian and vegan appetizer. Eggplant is drizzled with olive oil and balsamic vinegar, then broiled in the oven with some minced garlic (use a jarred minced garlic to save some time on this recipe) and optional red pepper flakes. You can slice it up and just eat this eggplant as it is, or perhaps topped with marinara or another sauce. Another idea is to add a little breadcrumb (try panko-style breadcrumbs) and cheese topping, if you're not eating vegan, and heat it up just enough for the cheese to melt.
- 1 medium-large eggplant
- 1-2 tbsp good quality olive oil
- 1-2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 3 cloves garlic (minced and crushed)
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes (optional)
- First, peel the eggplant, and slice it into about 1-inch thick rounds. Arrange these eggplant slices on a baking sheet in a single layer. Next, sprinkle the tops of the eggplant slices with a little bit of salt, and allow the eggplant to sit for at least 20 minutes. After about twenty minutes, rinse the eggplant slices and gently pat them dry using a kitchen towel or a paper towel.
- Once your eggplant is ready to go, preheat the oven to broil.
- Place the prepared eggplant slices on a lightly greased baking sheet and then place in the preheated oven for 4-5 minutes.
- Remove from oven and drizzle or brush the eggplant slices with olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Sprinkle with garlic and red pepper flakes.
- Return the baking tray to the oven to broil for another 4-5 minutes, or until done.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||10 g|
|Saturated Fat||1 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||7 g|
|Dietary Fiber||6 g|