|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Servings: 6 servings|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 40g||51%|
|Saturated Fat 15g||77%|
|Total Carbohydrate 27g||10%|
|Dietary Fiber 7g||27%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
This corned beef and cabbage meal is cooked in the oven along with carrots, onions, and potatoes. The vegetables are added to the brisket about 30 minutes before the dish is done. It's a very easy recipe to fix and cook. Whether you're celebrating St. Patrick's Day or simply preparing a Sunday dinner, this meal will be a hit.
- 1 (4-pound) cured corned beef brisket
- 1 cup water
- 1 medium to large head of cabbage
- 4 medium carrots
- 2 medium onions (or about 1 cup of small pearl onions or cippolini)
- 6 to 8 medium to large red potatoes
- Optional: fresh parsley (chopped)
Place meat on a rack in a large oven-safe Dutch oven; add 1 cup water.
Cover the pot and bake at 325 F (165 C/Gas 3) for 2 1/2 hours.
Cut the cabbage into 6 wedges, taking care to have part of the core in each wedge to keep them together.
Peel the carrots and slice in half lengthwise and then slice crosswise into 2 1/2 to 3-inch lengths.
Peel the potatoes and slice into large chunks.
Peel the onions; leave them whole if they are quite small. For larger onions, cut them in half or quarters, depending on size.
Arrange the vegetables around the brisket and then add another 1/2 cup of water.
Cover and bake for another 30 to 40 minutes, or until vegetables are fork-tender.
Remove the brisket to a platter and surround it with the vegetables. Sprinkle with fresh chopped parsley, if desired.
- Flat cut corned beef or point cut? The point cut brisket has a pointed end. It is a fatty cut, making it very juicy, and it comes apart in shreds. The flat cut brisket is leaner throughout with a layer of fat on the bottom to keep the meat moist. If you want a cut you can cut into neat slices, choose the flat cut.
- Add 1 rutabaga to the pan, peeled and cut into chunks or about 4 to 6 small peeled turnips.
- Add 4 peeled parsnips to the vegetables.