- 1 (4-pound) cured corned beef brisket
- 1 cup water
- 1 medium to large head of cabbage
- 4 medium carrots
- 2 medium onions (or about 1 cup of small pearl onions or cippolini)
- 6 to 8 medium to large red potatoes
- Optional: fresh chopped parsley
- Place meat on a rack in a large oven-safe Dutch oven; add 1 cup water. Cover the pot and bake at 325 F (165 C/Gas 3) for 2 1/2 hours.
- Cut the cabbage into 6 wedges, taking care to have part of the core in each wedge to keep them together. Peel the carrots and slice in half lengthwise and then slice crosswise into 2 1/2 to 3-inch lengths. Peel the potatoes and slice into large chunks. Peel the onions; leave them whole if they are quite small. For larger onions, cut them in half or quarters, depending on size.
- Arrange the vegetables around the brisket and then add another 1/2 cup of water. Cover and bake for another 30 to 40 minutes, or until vegetables are fork-tender.
- Remove the brisket to a platter and surround it with the vegetables. Sprinkle with fresh chopped parsley, if desired.
Tips and Variations
- Add 1 rutabaga, peeled and cut into chunks or about 4 to 6 small peeled turnips.
- Add 4 peeled parsnips to the vegetables.
- Use a leaner corned beef round (eye of round). It isn't as tender, but it's leaner and excellent for slicing (pictured).
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||40 g|
|Saturated Fat||15 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||18 g|
|Dietary Fiber||7 g|