This kid-friendly recipe for Breaded Baked Chicken is quick, easy, and wonderful for the next day. What else could anyone ask of a recipe? Whether you want to serve it for Shabbat lunch, or during a busy weeknight, we're sure you'll enjoy this delicious comfort food.
While you can use any skinless cut, preferably boneless, skinless chicken breasts are perfect for this recipe. But since they often vary in size within a single package, it's a good idea to cut them to similar size to ensure even cooking. First separate the small cutlets from the underside of the breast (these are the perfect size for little kids), then cut the rest of the breast into uniformly-sized pieces before breading. Don't worry about cutting the rest of the chicken to match the size of the cutlets - somewhat larger or thicker pieces are fine.
Need to go gluten-free? Just substitute gluten-free panko for regular, or make your own gluten-free breadcrumbs.
Make it a Meal: While the chicken is cooking, toss together a quick salad. The creamy (yet dairy-free) Dijon herb dressing on this Romaine Salad with Sun Dried Tomatoes and Pecans is the perfect complement to the chicken - just skip the optional feta cheese to keep it kosher.
- 3 pounds skinless chicken pieces (breasts, thighs, and/or legs)
- 1 cup dry bread crumbs orpanko
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/3 to 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 400 F. Grease a shallow baking dish large enough to hold all the chicken pieces in one layer. Or line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper and lightly oil.
- In a large, shallow bowl, combine the bread crumbs or panko, paprika, garlic powder, salt and pepper.
- Rinse a piece of chicken under cold running water. Roll the chicken in the seasoned bread crumbs, pressing the crumbs gently onto the chicken to coat. Place the breaded chicken in dish or baking sheet. Continue with each piece. Distribute any remaining breading over the chicken, patting it gently onto each piece to help it adhere.
- Drizzle the olive oil evenly over the chicken pieces. Bake, uncovered, turning midway through cooking, for 35 minutes to 1 hour depending on the size of the pieces, or until cooked through. When the chicken is done, it should be opaque throughout, the juices will run clear, and an instant-read thermometer inserted in the thickest piece will read 165 F.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||46 g|
|Saturated Fat||11 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||23 g|
|Dietary Fiber||1 g|