Fried green tomatoes are a classic staple in southern cooking. This recipe is quick and easy and will turn you into a great southern chef in no time.
- 4 to 6 green tomatoes, cut in 1/4-inch thick slices
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2/3 cup evaporated milk
- 1/3 cup water
- salt and pepper
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- Sprinkle tomato slices with salt and pepper on both sides. In a shallow bowl mix beaten eggs, milk, and water. Put the all-purpose flour in a shallow bowl.
- Dip each slice into egg mixture, then into flour.* Dip each slice into egg and then into the flour again.
- Arrange tomatoes in large, shallow baking pans lined with parchment paper or well greased, or bake in 1 pan, in batches. Tomatoes should not touch.
- Bake uncovered in 400° oven 20 minutes, turning halfway through.
For crunchier coating, dip slices the second time into egg mixture then into seasoned bread crumbs or corn flake crumbs, with a little Parmesan cheese, if desired.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||6 g|
|Saturated Fat||2 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||3 g|
|Dietary Fiber||3 g|