Haddock is a light, mild, and delicious flaky white fish related to cod. If you can't find haddock, try this recipe with cod, flounder, or sole fillets. Just be sure to adjust time accordingly if the fillets are thinner or thicker than haddock fillets.
Use garlic or Parmesan seasoned bread crumbs, or add garlic powder or a few tablespoons of grated Parmesan cheese to plain bread crumbs.
This delicious haddock is lighter than the typical deep fried fish, and it's still delicious and flaky. Serve this tasty oven fried haddock with tartar sauce, coleslaw, and fries or steamed vegetables.
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil (for the baking dish)
- 1 1/2 pounds haddock fillets (without skin)
- Kosher salt to taste
- Black pepper (freshly ground) to taste
- 1 large egg
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1/2 cup flour (all-purpose)
- 1 cup fine dry Parmesan bread crumbs (or garlic seasoned or other seasoned bread crumbs)
- Line a baking dish with foil. Brush the foil with olive oil. Use a garlic or lemon infused oil if you have it.
- Heat the oven to 425 F (220 C/Gas 7).
- Cut the fish into serving size pieces. Sprinkle lightly with salt and pepper.
- Put the flour in a wide bowl, pan, or plate.
- Whisk egg and milk together in a wide bowl until the mixture is smooth.
- Spread the bread crumbs in a wide bowl, pan, or plate.
- Arrange the bowl and plates in this order: flour, milk, and egg, then bread crumbs.
- Dip the fish fillets in the flour, coating thoroughly, then dip in the milk and egg mixture. Coat with bread crumbs. Arrange on the baking pan and repeat with the remaining fillets and breading.
- Bake in the preheated oven for about 10 minutes. Turn and continue baking for another 8 to 10 minutes, or until cooked through. The fish will flake easily with a fork. Allow a little more time for thicker pieces.
Note: The tail end of a haddock fillet is generally thinner than the head end. When you place the fillet on the baking dish, tuck the thinner tail end under the fillet so that the piece is fairly even in thickness. If the fillets are uneven, remove thinner pieces from the oven a bit sooner than thicker pieces.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||10 g|
|Saturated Fat||3 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||4 g|
|Dietary Fiber||2 g|