|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Servings: 6 to 8|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 8g||11%|
|Saturated Fat 2g||12%|
|Total Carbohydrate 7g||2%|
|Dietary Fiber 1g||3%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
This easy oven-fried zucchini is a delicious way to enjoy a bumper crop. Zucchini is sliced into rounds, breaded in a Parmesan-breadcrumb coating, and "fried" in the oven for less of a stovetop mess and a lighter calorie load.
This no-fuss veggie is a great side dish with everything from chicken to fish to burgers, or a terrific appetizer as is or with ranch or another dip of your choosing.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (divided)
- 4 medium zucchinis
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs (or regular breadcrumbs)
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese (grated)
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper (freshly ground)
Gather the ingredients.
Heat oven to 425 F.
Drizzle 1 tablespoon of the olive oil over a baking sheet to evenly coat. Set aside.
Wash, trim, and slice zucchini into 1/2-inch-thick rounds.
Beat egg in a small bowl.
Spread breadcrumbs out in a shallow dish. Stir Parmesan cheese, salt, basil, and pepper into breadcrumbs.
Dip 5 to 6 zucchini slices into the beaten egg.
Transfer to the breadcrumb mixture, pressing on both sides to coat.
Shake off excess and place on prepared baking sheet.
Repeat with remaining zucchini slices.
Drizzle remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil over the zucchini.
Bake in the heated oven 8 minutes.
Using tongs, turn zucchini so the other side gets crispy. Bake another 5 to 7 minutes until golden brown.
Allow to cool on pan 2 minutes and then serve hot as a side dish or appetizer.
- To keep oven-fried zucchini warm if serving them as an appetizer, set the oven to 200 F. And to improve the crispiness, instead of baking breaded zucchini directly on a baking sheet, arrange them on a wire rack that has been lightly coated with cooking spray and placed on a baking pan to catch any drips. Give the tops of the zucchini rounds a light mist with cooking spray. Bake as directed above.