|Nutrition Facts (per serving)|
|Servings: 6 to 8|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 8g||11%|
|Saturated Fat 2g||12%|
|Total Carbohydrate 7g||2%|
|Dietary Fiber 1g||3%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
This easy oven-fried zucchini recipe is a delicious way to enjoy this summertime vegetable. Zucchini is sliced into rounds, breaded in a Parmesan-breadcrumb coating, and "fried" in the oven until crispy, without the stovetop mess or the higher calorie count.
Oven-fried zucchini is a great side dish with everything from chicken to fish to burgers; it's also a terrific appetizer as is, or with ranch, tzatziki, or another dip on the side.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 4 medium zucchinis
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs, or regular breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Gather the ingredients. Preheat the oven to 425 F.
Drizzle 1 tablespoon of the olive oil over a baking sheet to evenly coat. Set aside.
Wash, trim, and slice the zucchini into 1/2-inch-thick rounds.
Beat the egg in a small bowl.
Spread the breadcrumbs out in a shallow dish. Stir the Parmesan cheese, salt, basil, and pepper into the breadcrumbs.
Dip 5 to 6 zucchini slices into the beaten egg.
Transfer to the breadcrumb mixture, pressing on both sides to coat.
Shake off excess and place the coated rounds on the prepared baking sheet.
Repeat with the remaining zucchini slices.
Drizzle the remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil over the zucchini.
Bake for 8 minutes. Using tongs, turn the zucchini so the other side gets crispy. Bake another 5 to 7 minutes until golden brown. Allow the zucchini to cool on the pan for 2 minutes.
Serve hot as a side dish or appetizer and enjoy.
- To keep oven-fried zucchini warm if serving them later, place the baking sheet in a 200 F oven.
- To improve the crispiness, instead of baking breaded zucchini directly on a baking sheet, arrange them on a wire rack that has been lightly coated with cooking spray and placed on a baking pan to catch any drips. Give the tops of the zucchini rounds a light mist with cooking spray and bake as directed.
- If you are concerned the zucchini will come out soggy, you can salt the rounds beforehand to extract some of their moisture. Place the sliced zucchini on a paper-towel-lined plate and salt both sides. Let sit for a few minutes and then blot the zucchini dry before proceeding with the breading process.