This recipe for vegan buffalo wings made with oven-roasted cauliflower is the best of both worlds—all that great spicy flavor and not a bit of chicken in sight. If you're a fan of tofu hot wings or seitan hot wings, you're going to like this vegetable version.
Cauliflower is the perfect vegetable to make buffalo wings as it has a subtle and neutral flavor which combines perfectly with the spicy sauce.
Those with wheat allergies can use gluten-free flour in place of all-purpose flour and it's just as delicious. And as long as you use vegan margarine and not butter, this recipe is completely vegan as well. Olive oil can be used but vegan margarine produces the best results.
Accompany these wings with the hot sauce of your choice, even Sriracha, but using a classic buffalo wing sauce like Frank's is the way to go.
- 1 head of cauliflower (washed, stemmed, and cut into pieces about the size of chicken wings)
- 1 cup unsweetened soy milk (almond milk, another non-dairy milk substitute, or water)
- 1 cup flour (all-purpose or gluten-free)
- 3/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt (sea salt or kosher salt)
- 1/3 cup buffalo wing sauce (or more to taste)
- 1 to 2 tablespoons vegan margarine (melted, olive oil also will work but vegan margarine is best)
- Heat the oven to 450 F.
- In a medium bowl, combine the soy milk, flour, garlic powder, and salt, whisking together until well combined.
- Pat the cauliflower pieces dry with a paper towel. Coat each individual piece with the soy milk-flour mixture until well covered, then place in a casserole dish or baking sheet that has been lightly coated with cooking spray.
- Bake the cauliflower in the heated oven for 18 minutes.
- Next, prepare the buffalo sauce by whisking together the wing sauce or hot sauce of your choice and the melted vegan margarine in a small bowl or on the stovetop over low heat.
- When the cauliflower has finished cooking, remove it from the oven, and carefully coat the cauliflower with the wing sauce mixture of hot sauce and margarine. You can brush it on or toss the cauliflower florets lightly in the sauce.
- Return the cauliflower to the oven for an additional 5 to 7 minutes. Let cool for a few minutes and then devour!
Buffalo wings are traditionally served with a blue cheese dressing for dipping and celery sticks for cooling off. But if you don't care for blue cheese, try serving them with a vegan ranch dressing instead.
You can make a full meal of these cauliflower hot wings with or without a simple side green salad or serve them as a tasty appetizer. They are completely addicting. You have been warned.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|