Starting off your morning with a filling and nutritious breakfast is a must. When you eat a balanced meal you'll have the energy to take on the day in full force.
Eggs are fabulous for any meal of the day, but especially for breakfast. This simple over easy egg recipe is sure to keep you energized throughout the morning. It was inspired by huevos rancheros, which is a Mexican/Tex-Mex dish that consists of a fried egg atop of a corn tortilla and covered in a salsa. The dish is amazing but can be a bit too long to prepare on a busy weekday morning. Instead, here's a more streamlined version of huevos rancheros, and chances are good that you probably already have all of the ingredients in your fridge. If you don't have Cholula, use whatever hot sauce you have and if avocados are not your thing, then use your favorite fruit instead. And don't forget a cup of strong coffee as the perfect complement.
Tip: Authentic corn tortillas use only corn flour (called masa) and so are gluten-free. In a pinch, small flour tortillas can be used, just don't fry it in the butter for too long because it will crisp up.
- 1 large egg
- 1 corn tortilla
- 1 tablespoon of butter (salted)
- Cholula hot sauce to taste
- 1/2 small avocado (sliced)
- Heat a small pan over medium-low and once hot add the butter, allow it to melt completely. Now place the corn tortilla into the pan.
- Fry the tortilla on one side until it begins to bubble up or blister, then flip it over and fry for another minute or two. Remove the tortilla from the pan and put it on your serving plate, set it aside.
- There should still be enough butter in the pan to cook the egg -- if there isn't, add a small dollop and melt it. Crack the egg into the pan and slowly over low heat fry it until the whites are nearly cooked through.
- Use a spatula to carefully flip the egg over and fry just for a minute -- you want the yolk to still be runny. Carefully remove the egg from the pan and place it on top of the fried tortilla. Place the slices of avocado on the side of your egg. Then shake the Cholula over the egg coating it as much as you like. Dig in!
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||100 g|
|Saturated Fat||32 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||40 g|
|Dietary Fiber||30 g|