The bread is soaked, arranged on the baking sheet, then refrigerated overnight. This is an excellent breakfast to prepare for overnight guests.
- 1/4 cup butter (room temperature)
- 12 slices French bread slices (about 3/4- inch thick)
- 6 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 4 tablespoons sugar (granulated)
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup (or golden cane syrup)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Optional: powdered sugar, optional
- Garnish: maple syrup or other syrup, for serving
Spread the 1/4 cup of butter over the bottom of large, shallow-rimmed pan, such as a jelly roll pan.
Arrange bread slices over the butter.
In a large bowl, beat eggs, milk, sugar, maple syrup, vanilla, and salt until well blended. Pour mixture over bread. Turn bread slices to coat thoroughly.
Cover pan with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
Preheat oven to 400 F.
Bake for 10 minutes. Turn bread over and continue baking until just golden brown, about 5 to 8 minutes longer.
Transfer the cooked French toast to serving platter or individual plates.
If desired, sprinkle with powdered sugar.
Serve immediately with syrup.
You Might Also Like