This is a tasty pot roast for the slow cooker, made with tomatoes, carrots, zucchini and other ingredients. Use red wine or beef broth for the liquid in this recipe to enhance the flavor.
The cooking liquids are thickened to make a flavorful sauce for the pot roast and vegetables.
- 1 3- to 4-pound pot roast (lean chuck, bottom round, or other)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil (or more, if needed)
- 1 large onion (sliced)
- 6 medium potatoes (halved)
- 4 to 6 small zucchini (sliced)
- 2 to 3 medium carrots (cut into 1-inch chunks)
- 1 bell pepper (red, sliced in rings)
- 1 cup red wine (or beef broth)
- 1 dried bay leaf
- 3 tablespoons flour (all-purpose)
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 1 to 2 teaspoons of salt (or to taste (may need less if purchased beef broth is used)
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Trim the meat and discard fat.
- Melt 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil or shortening in a large skillet over medium-high heat, brown the roast on all sides; place the roast in the slow cooker. If the roast is large, cut it in half or quarters.
- If necessary, add more oil to the skillet and reduce the heat to medium; saute onion until tender, about 4 to 5 minutes. Scatter the sauteed onions over the beef in the slow cooker.
- Place the potatoes, zucchini, carrots, red pepper rings, wine, and bay leaf in the slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for 7 to 9 hours or on high for about 4 hours, or until meat is very tender.
- Place beef and vegetables on a warm platter and keep warm.
- Strain the liquids into a saucepan and place over medium heat. Bring the liquids to a simmer. If the liquids are watery and lack flavor, boil the liquids until reduced somewhat and the flavors are concentrated.
- Combine the flour and water in a cup; stir until smooth. Pour the flour mixture into the hot liquids and simmer, stirring, until thickened. Taste and add salt and pepper, as needed.
- Serve the sauce along with the pot roast and vegetables.
You Might Also Like:
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||29 g|
|Saturated Fat||10 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||14 g|
|Dietary Fiber||3 g|