This recipe is great when you want grilled shrimp, but don't feel like building a fire that you are only going to need for five minutes. The shrimp are quickly seared in a pan and are cooked in their shells for extra flavor and moistness.
- 1 pound (16-20 per lb.) jumbo shrimp, shell-on, deveined (sold as "raw, ready to peel")
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 3/4 teaspoon. salt
- 1 tablespoon ketchup
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper, or to taste
- Lemon wedges
- Rinse and drain shrimp well.
- Combine all ingredients in a mixing bowl, and toss until the sugar is dissolved and the shrimp are coated. Cover and let sit for 15 minutes in the fridge.
- Preheat a skillet over a medium-high flame until hot.
- Add the shrimp and sear for about 3 minutes, until cooked. The shells will get charred and browned, but the meat inside will not, so don't worry about the outside getting too dark - they should look like they were grilled over coals.
- Remove to a plate, and when cool enough to handle, serve warm with lemon.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||5 g|
|Saturated Fat||1 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||3 g|
|Dietary Fiber||2 g|