This easy recipe for pan roasted padron or shishito peppers has only 3 ingredients: the peppers, good olive oil and sea salt. You can prepare them in a skillet or on a stovetop grill. However you cook them, you can count on a delicious snack that will keep folks coming back for more. These heirloom peppers have a complex flavor that is a combination of sweet and nutty, peppery and only very occasionally spicy (you might find one in 10 that is piccante). These little gems are excellent tapas and make a wonderful appetizer either on their own or served with good olives, sheep cheese and a glass of wine. If you are preparing other hors d'oeuvres, consider toasts with Tapenade or Romesco Sauce, and Chevre Stuffed Mushrooms. The stems serve as a mini handle, so keep a small dish on the side for discarding them.
- 1 pound padron or shishito peppers*
- 1 ½ tablespoons good olive oil
- Sea salt to taste
*Note: Shishito peppers are often easier to find than padrons depending on where you live, and are similar enough that they make a fine substitute.
- Wash and dry the peppers and toss them with the olive oil in a bowl.
- Heat a large heavy skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add the peppers and cook for 6-7 minutes, stirring frequently, until the peppers are slightly brown and blistered.
- Sprinkle the peppers with sea salt to taste.
Dry Roasted Method:
This variation on the stovetop method dry roasts the peppers with the olive oil added AFTER cooking. The advantage of this technique is that you can use a high-quality extra virgin olive oil to dress them. Olive oil burns easily, and extra virgin oil is super delicate, so if you want to use your good oil, take this route.
- Wash and dry the peppers.
- Heat a large heavy skillet over medium-high flame.
- Cook the peppers, stirring frequently, for 8-10 minutes, until they are beginning to brown and blister.
- Toss the peppers with extra virgin olive oil and salt to taste.
- Serve the peppers with a small dish on the side for discarded stems.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||4 g|
|Saturated Fat||1 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||1 g|
|Dietary Fiber||19 g|