This simple recipe for pan-seared turkey breast with lemon and herbs takes less than 10 minutes to cook and is incredibly flavorful and aromatic.
Quickly browned thin slices of turkey breast are bathed in aromatic herbs and chicken broth. Greens are added at the very end and steamed in the pan juices, and the dish is finished with a generous spritz of fresh lemon juice.
Ask your butcher to slice very thin cutlets for you, ideally a hair less than 1/4 inch. Thicker slices will require a couple of minutes more cooking time. Keep in mind that turkey can get quite dry when overcooked.
- For a slightly richer dish, add 1/4 cup white wine along with the broth. Finish the sauce with a teaspoon of organic butter whisked in.
- Add a pinch of hot pepper flakes and/or 1/4 cup green olives.
- Try varying the herbs and seasoning. You can use a single herb like rosemary, sage, oregano, lemon thyme, marjoram or a blend like Cajun seasoning.
- 8-10 ounces turkey breast (in 4 thin slices )
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon neutral oil like vegetable or canola
- 1 tablespoon mixed fresh herbs (rosemary, thyme, and sage, chopped, or 2 pinches dry herbes de Provence)
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 4 cups spinach (or baby kale leaves)
- 1 lemon (cut into wedges)
- Heat a cast-iron or heavy skillet over medium-high heat.
- Season the turkey cutlets with sea salt and a few grinds of pepper.
- Place the oil in the skillet and tip it to coat the entire bottom of the pan. Place the cutlets in a single layer and sear until golden, about 2 minutes.
- Turn the cutlets and sprinkle with the chopped herbs. Cook an additional 2 minutes, until the slices are golden brown. Remove them to two plates.
- Add the chicken broth to the pan along with the greens. Steam the greens down in the broth, stirring frequently, about 2 minutes.
- Remove the greens with tongs or a slotted spoon and divide between the two plates. Reduce the broth by half, add a squeeze of lemon, and pour the sauce over the cutlets.
- Serve with additional lemon wedges on the side.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||13 g|
|Saturated Fat||2 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||6 g|
|Dietary Fiber||7 g|