Otherwise known as these baby pancake puffs are traditionally served with melted butter and sieved powdered sugar. Perfect for Sunday brunch, a lazy lunch or dessert.
- 1 level tsp. instant yeast
- 1 tbsp. milk
- 1 cup buckwheat flour
- 1 cup flour
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp. sugar
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 1/4 cups warm milk
- 1 tbsp. butter
- Garnish: Strawberries, whipped cream, and powdered sugar
- Gather the ingredients.
- In a small bowl, dissolve the yeast in the milk. In a separate bowl, combine the buckwheat flour, flour, eggs, yeast, sugar, salt and half the milk. Whisk smooth. Now add the remaining milk and beat again.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and allow to rest for an hour.
- Melt butter in a frying pan. When it sizzles, add teaspoonfuls of the batter in circular movements to create the mini pancakes. Turn the poffertjes around as soon as the bottom has set, using two forks.
- Serve Pancake Puffs with strawberries, whipped cream and a dusting of powdered sugar.
- If you happen to have a poffertjes pan (usually a cast iron pan with a dozen or so indentations) please do use it, but I really don't think a special shopping trip is required. I have managed to make perfectly good poffertjes without the special pan on many an occasion.