Layers of fresh sliced sweetened strawberries make these pancakes extra special. What better way to enjoy a weekend morning than with a plate of pancakes layered with fresh, juicy strawberries?
These pancakes are made with a basic formula, and the macerated strawberries are simply prepared with sliced strawberries and granulated sugar. Check out the variations below to add a twist on the classic version.
- Combine the strawberries with 3 tablespoons of sugar in a bowl. Gently mix and set aside for at least 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. The strawberries will make their own juice
- In a bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, 2 tablespoons sugar, and salt; stir to blend.
- In another bowl, whisk eggs with 1 1/2 cups of milk. Stir into the flour mixture along with the melted butter and vanilla. Add a little more milk if the batter is too thick. Stir just until smooth and well blended.
- Using about 1/4 cup of batter for each pancake, cook on a hot, greased griddle. Cook until bubbly and lightly browned on the bottom; flip over with a spatula and brown the other side.
- Layer the pancakes with the sliced strawberries and serve them with your favorite syrup.
- To keep subsequent batches of pancakes warm, heat the oven to 200 F. Place pancakes on a platter or baking pan in the preheated oven and cover loosely with foil while you make the remaining pancakes.
- After 30 to 45 minutes, cover the strawberries and refrigerate until serving time.
- Orange Pancakes: To the dry ingredients, add 1 teaspoon of finely grated orange zest and 1/4 cup of orange juice. Reduce the milk by about 1/4 cup.
- Fluffy Pancakes: Separate the eggs. Make the batter with the egg yolks. Beat the egg whites to stiff peaks and then fold them into the pancake batter until blended.
- Add 2 tablespoons of Cointreau or Grand Marnier to the strawberries and reduce the sugar to 2 tablespoons.
- Add 2 tablespoons of fresh orange juice or lemon juice to the sliced strawberries and reduce the sugar to 2 tablespoons.
- Make the sauce with 1 cup of sliced strawberries and 1 cup of fresh blueberries. Add 1/4 cup of granulated sugar and let stand for 45 minutes.
- Add sliced bananas to the layers with the strawberries.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||15 g|
|Saturated Fat||6 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||6 g|
|Dietary Fiber||4 g|