|Nutrition Facts (per serving)|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 15g||20%|
|Saturated Fat 6g||32%|
|Total Carbohydrate 84g||31%|
|Dietary Fiber 4g||15%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
Layers of fresh sliced sweetened strawberries make these pancakes extra special. What better way to enjoy a weekend morning than with a plate of pancakes layered with fresh, juicy strawberries?
These pancakes are made with a basic formula, and the macerated strawberries are simply prepared with sliced strawberries and granulated sugar. Check out the variations below to add a twist on the classic version.
- 2 cups strawberries (sliced)
- 5 tablespoons granulated sugar (divided)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups to 1 2/3 cups milk
- 2 tablespoons butter (melted)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Steps to Make It
Gather the ingredients.
Combine the strawberries with 3 tablespoons of sugar in a bowl. Gently mix and set aside for at least 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. The strawberries will make their own juice
In a bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, 2 tablespoons sugar, and salt; stir to blend.
In another bowl, whisk eggs with 1 1/2 cups of milk.
Stir into the flour mixture along with the melted butter and vanilla. Add a little more milk if the batter is too thick. Stir just until smooth and well blended.
Using about 1/4 cup of batter for each pancake, cook on a hot, greased griddle. Cook until bubbly and lightly browned on the bottom.
Then, flip over with a spatula and brown the other side.
Layer the pancakes with the sliced strawberries and serve them with your favorite syrup.
- To keep subsequent batches of pancakes warm, heat the oven to 200 F. Place pancakes on a platter or baking pan in the preheated oven and cover loosely with foil while you make the remaining pancakes.
- After 30 to 45 minutes, cover the strawberries and refrigerate until serving time.
- Orange Pancakes: To the dry ingredients, add 1 teaspoon of finely grated orange zest and 1/4 cup of orange juice. Reduce the milk by about 1/4 cup.
- Fluffy Pancakes: Separate the eggs. Make the batter with the egg yolks. Beat the egg whites to stiff peaks and then fold them into the pancake batter until blended.
- Add 2 tablespoons of Cointreau or Grand Marnier to the strawberries and reduce the sugar to 2 tablespoons.
- Add 2 tablespoons of fresh orange juice or lemon juice to the sliced strawberries and reduce the sugar to 2 tablespoons.
- Make the sauce with 1 cup of sliced strawberries and 1 cup of fresh blueberries. Add 1/4 cup of granulated sugar and let stand for 45 minutes.
- Add sliced bananas to the layers with the strawberries.