If you are fond of Papad or Pappadums as they are also known, you will love this dish. Papad ki sabzi is a curry recipe with fried papads and sautéed in gravy made of curd-tomato. The mild, tangy flavor of the curry goes really well with plain boiled rice. Papad Ki Sabzi from Rajasthan in western India is a great dish for when you're in a hurry but want a hot, cooked meal.
- About 1 cup or 4-6 pre-packaged papad pieces/pappadum
- 2 cups vegetable oil for deep frying papad, plus 3 tablespoons vegetable oil separated
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 medium-sized onion chopped very fine
- 1 teaspoon ginger paste
- 2 teaspoon garlic paste
- 1 teaspoon red chili powder
- 2 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon very finely chopped ginger
- 1/4 tsp asafetida powder
- 2 green chilies chopped very fine
- 1 1/2 cup unsweetened yogurt, whisked till smooth
- Salt to taste
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh coriander to garnish
Gather the ingredients.
Heat the vegetable oil in a deep pan on medium heat. When hot, add the cumin seeds to it. When they stop spluttering, add the finely chopped onion and fry till soft.
Now add the ginger and garlic pastes, red chili, coriander and turmeric powders. Stir well. Fry for 2 minutes.
Add the chopped ginger/ asafetida powder and chopped green chili. Stir and fry again for 1 minute.
Now add the yogurt, stir well and cook for 5 minutes.
Add 1 cup of hot water. Cook till the mixture comes to a boil. Taste and add salt as required.
Lower heat to simmer and gently add the papad pieces. Stir well and cook for 3-5 minutes.
Turn off heat. Garnish with chopped fresh coriander and serve with plain boiled rice!
To Roast Papads in a Microwave
Take a microwave proof plate/ platter and line it with a paper towel.
Place raw papads on it, so that they do not overlap. Put the plate in the microwave and cook the papad on high for 2 minutes. Keep a close watch as it cooks.
When the time is up, remove and check if the papad is cooked. If it is done, it will have turned more or less crispy. If cooked, allow tit o sit for 1-2 minutes to finish cooking.
If not, cook some more on high. Repeat till all the papad is done.
Break the cooked papad into 2" square pieces. Keep aside for later use.
- Papad can be deep-fried, as it is in this recipe, pan-fried or roasted on a pan or cooked in the microwave. Watch this video to see how you can deep fry it.