If you are fond of Papad or Pappadums as they are also known, you will love this dish. Papad ki sabzi is a curry recipe with fried papads and sautéed in gravy made of curd-tomato. The mild, tangy flavor of the curry goes really well with plain boiled rice. Papad Ki Sabzi from Rajasthan in western India is a great dish for when you're in a hurry but want a hot, cooked meal.
- About 1 cup or 4-6 pre-packaged papad pieces/pappadum
- 2 cups vegetable oil for deep frying papad, plus 3 tablespoons vegetable oil separated
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 medium-sized onion chopped very fine
- 1 teaspoon ginger paste
- 2 teaspoon garlic paste
- 1 teaspoon red chili powder
- 2 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon very finely chopped ginger
- 1/4 tsp asafetida powder
- 2 green chilies chopped very fine
- 1 1/2 cup unsweetened yogurt, whisked till smooth
- Salt to taste
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh coriander to garnish
- Heat the vegetable oil in a deep pan on medium heat. When hot, add the cumin seeds to it. When they stop spluttering, add the finely chopped onion and fry till soft.
- Now add the ginger and garlic pastes, red chili, coriander and turmeric powders. Stir well. Fry for 2 minutes.
- Add the chopped ginger/ asafetida powder and chopped green chili. Stir and fry again for 1 minute.
- Now add the yogurt, stir well and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add 1 cup of hot water. Cook till the mixture comes to a boil. Taste and add salt as required.
- Lower heat to simmer and gently add the papad pieces. Stir well and cook for 3-5 minutes.
- Turn off heat. Garnish with chopped fresh coriander and serve with plain boiled rice!
Papad can be deep-fried, as it is in this recipe, pan-fried or roasted on a pan or cooked in the microwave. Watch this video to see how you can deep fry it.
To Roast Papads in a Microwave:
- Take a microwave proof plate/ platter and line it with a paper towel.
- Place raw papads on it, so that they do not overlap. Put the plate in the microwave and cook the papad on high for 2 minutes. Keep a close watch as it cooks.
- When the time is up, remove and check if the papad is cooked. If it is done, it will have turned more or less crispy. If cooked, allow tit o sit for 1-2 minutes to finish cooking.
- If not, cook some more on high. Repeat till all the papad is done.
- Break the cooked papad into 2" square pieces. Keep aside for later use.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||159 g|
|Saturated Fat||15 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||110 g|
|Dietary Fiber||2 g|