Sweet paprika gives these simple bone-in chicken breasts color and flavor. The chicken is baked to perfection with onions and a little chicken broth. Sour cream is stirred into the drippings to make a flavorful gravy.
Serve the chicken with mashed potatoes and a side vegetable or salad.
- Heat the oven to 400 F (200 C/Gas 6). Lightly oil a large baking dish and set aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet or sauté pan.
- Sprinkle the chicken with kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Brown the chicken breasts in the hot olive oil.
- Put the sliced onions in the prepared baking dish. Arrange the chicken on the onions and sprinkle evenly with the paprika.
- Pour the chicken broth over the chicken.
- Bake for 45 to 55 minutes, or until the chicken breasts register at least 165° F on an instant-read thermometer.
- Remove the chicken from the pan to a plate and keep warm.
- Skim fat from the juices and strain or put the liquids through a gravy separator.
- Put the strained juices in a saucepan (or use the baking dish if it is safe for the stovetop). Bring the liquids to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 3 to 4 minutes to reduce and concentrate the flavors.
- Whisk in the sour cream and flour mixture and heat, whisking constantly, until smooth and thickened. Do not let it boil.
- Serve the gravy with the chicken.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||77 g|
|Saturated Fat||21 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||33 g|
|Dietary Fiber||3 g|