Try this rich and delicious macaroni and cheese recipe made with freshly grated Parmesan cheese, fresh parsley, and small shells. Top with buttered bread crumbs for a delicious macaroni and cheese casserole, and serve as a side dish or a main dish with salad.
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 6 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper (freshly ground)
- 3/4 cup Parmesan cheese ( fresh, grated)
- 8 ounces small shell macaroni (uncooked)
- 1 cup soft bread crumbs
- 3 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 tablespoon parsley (freshly chopped or 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes)
- Optional: paprika
- In a saucepan, melt butter over medium-low heat. Stir in flour, cooking until hot and bubbly, about 1 minute.
- Gradually stir in chicken broth and milk. Add the salt and pepper. Continue to cook, stirring, until thickened and bubbly. Stir in the Parmesan cheese and continue to cook and stir until cheese is melted.
- Meanwhile, cook the shells in boiling salted water as directed on package. Drain well and add to the sauce mixture, blending well. Transfer to a lightly buttered 2-quart baking dish.
- Combine bread crumbs with melted butter and parsley flakes; sprinkle over the casserole.
- Bake at 325° for 25 to 35 minutes, or until hot and bubbly. Sprinkle with paprika before serving, if desired.
More Macaroni and Cheese Recipes
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||22 g|
|Saturated Fat||12 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||7 g|
|Dietary Fiber||4 g|