These popular little ham sandwiches are always the hit of the party, and they are delicious! Use Hawaiian Dinner Rolls or other small unseparated rolls. It's an easy way to make lunch sandwiches for a crowd.
These ham rolls are essential party fare in Mississippi and across the Southern states, and once you taste them, you'll make them again and again. The little sliders are perfect for a game day snack, a kids party, or a sandwich lunch or supper.
Yellow mustard is commonly used, and it was used in the pictured sandwiches, but Dijon or honey mustard would be excellent as well. Thin slices of Swiss cheese are the classic choice, but feel free to use cheddar cheese. See more suggestions for substitutions and additional ideas in the tips and variations below the recipe.
Watch Now: Easy Party Ham Rolls
- 24 small dinner rolls (about 1 pound, such as King's Hawaiian Rolls*)
- 3/4 cup butter (1 stick, plus 4 tablespoons)
- 2 tablespoons prepared yellow mustard
- Optional: 2 tablespoons onion (finely minced)
- 2 tablespoons poppy seed
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 12 to 16 ounces deli ham (very thinly sliced or shaved)
- 12 slices Swiss cheese (or cheddar cheese, or about 1 1/2 cups shredded)
- Garnish: poppy seeds for tops
Gather the ingredients.
In a saucepan over low heat, melt the butter; save 4 tablespoons in a small bowl for brushing over the tops of the rolls. Set aside.
To the remaining butter in the saucepan, add the mustard, poppy seeds, onion, and Worcestershire sauce. Cook over low heat until onions are translucent and tender.
Without separating rolls, slice each flat of 12 rolls horizontally. Spread both sides (inside tops and bottoms) evenly with butter and mustard mixture.
Fill evenly with the sliced ham and cheese.
Brush with the reserved 4 tablespoons of melted butter and sprinkle with more poppy seeds.
Wrap the rolls in tightly in foil which has been lightly sprayed with nonstick cooking spray. Refrigerate until close to serving time.
Heat the oven to 375 F.
Place the foil-wrapped rolls on a baking sheet.
Bake the rolls in the preheated oven for about 15 minutes, or until they are thoroughly heated and cheese has melted.
Enjoy your sandwiches!
- Replace the Swiss or cheddar cheese with Muenster, havarti, or mozzarella cheese.
- Instead of minced onion, blend about 1 1/2 teaspoons of onion powder into the mustard mixture.
- Replace the yellow mustard with honey mustard or a gourmet mustard blend.
- Substitute thinly sliced turkey ham or smoked turkey for the deli ham.