When God commanded the separation of meat and milk, He challenged us to find creative ways to eat creamy potatoes with meat meals. This Scalloped Potatoes recipe is one attempt. You can serve these Parve Scalloped Potatoes with Roast Chicken at your upcoming Sabbath or holiday meal.
- 2 to 3 large onions
- 1 1/2 cups hot water
- 3 tablespoons margarine (melted)
- 3 tablespoons flour (all-purpose)
- 2 tablespoons parve chicken soup powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon black pepper (freshly ground)
- 8 to 10 large potatoes
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Peel and slice onions into rounds. Heat oil in a frying pan. Saute onions until translucent. Remove with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- In a small bowl, mix the hot water, melted margarine, flour, soup mix, salt, and pepper. Set aside.
- Peel and slice potatoes into thin rounds. If possible, use a food processor.
- Grease a large casserole dish. In the dish, place half of the onions. Cover with half of the potatoes. Layer with the rest of the onions and top with the rest of the potatoes.
- Pour the sauce mixture over the top. Sprinkle the top with paprika.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350°F (180°C) for 1 1/2 hours, or until a knife easily cuts through the layers of potatoes and the top of the dish is nicely browned.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||1 g|
|Saturated Fat||0 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||1 g|
|Dietary Fiber||1 g|