|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Servings: 6 to 8 Servings|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 22g||29%|
|Saturated Fat 12g||59%|
|Total Carbohydrate 19g||7%|
|Dietary Fiber 0g||2%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
This humble casserole is fairly rich, so enjoy it with colorful, fiber-filled veggies. Start with this vibrant Roasted Carrot, Apple, and Celery Soup. Then, offer a selection of roasted vegetables and salads, such as this Roasted Broccoli with Ginger, a dish of the Moroccan tomato and pepper salad Matboucha (prepare it with olive oil to keep it kosher for Passover), and Roasted Fairy Tale Eggplants with Feta and Mint (omit the za'atar if you do not eat kitniyot during Pesach). For dessert, serve a fruit salad or clementines, a plate of delicious Gluten-Free Fudge Brownies, and coffee or tea.
Updated by Miri Rotkovitz
- 2 cups matzo farfel
- 3 eggs
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 cups cottage cheese (or G'vina Levana—Israeli white cheese)
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter (melted and cooled to room temperature)
- 1/2 cup apricot preserves
- Garnish: Sugar for mixing
- Garnish: Cinnamon for mixing
- Gather the ingredients.
- Preheat the oven to 350 F (180 C). Lightly grease an 8 x 8-inch baking pan.
- Place the matzo farfel in a large bowl and add just enough cold water to cover. Soak the matzo farfel for a few minutes until soft, then drain in a colander.
- In a separate large bowl, beat the eggs and sugar until fluffy. Add the cottage cheese or G'vina Levana, sour cream, melted butter, and apricot preserves, and beat until creamy. Add the softened farfel and stir well.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared pan. In a small bowl, mix together a little cinnamon and sugar. Sprinkle the top of the kugel evenly with the cinnamon and sugar mixture. Bake in the preheated oven until the kugel is firm, the top is golden brown, and a tester inserted in the center comes out clean, about 45-50 minutes. Allow to rest on a wire rack for a few minutes before slicing and serving.