This chicken, spinach, and pasta salad is dressed with a flavorful mayonnaise and lemon juice dressing. This is a great main dish salad for hot summer days.
Use cooked leftover chicken, canned chicken, or a rotisserie chicken for this tasty salad recipe. The recipe is very forgiving, so feel free to change some of the ingredients to suit your taste. Spinach can be replaced with arugula or baby kale, and the onion can be omitted if you aren't a fan. Use turkey or ham instead or chicken.
- 8 ounces pasta (fusilli, rotini, etc.)
- 1 1/2 to 2 cups spinach leaves
- 1/2 red bell pepper
- 12 grape tomatoes (or cherry tomatoes, halved)
- 1/4 cup diced red onion
- 1 medium clove garlic, finely minced
- 2 cups chopped chicken (cooked or canned)
- 1 to 1 1/2 cups mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Dijon or a favorite gourmet mustard
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried leaf basil
- salt, to taste
- Cook the pasta in boiling salted water following the package directions; drain and rinse well. Set aside to cool.
- Meanwhile, chop the spinach leaves coarsely and diced the red bell pepper half.
- Toss the cooled and drained pasta with the spinach, red bell pepper, tomato halves, onion, garlic, and chicken.
- Combine 1 cup of the mayonnaise with wine vinegar, lemon juice, mustard, pepper, and basil.
- Toss the dressing mixture with the pasta mixture. Add more mayonnaise, if needed. Taste and add salt, as needed.
- Refrigerate for at least 2 hours before serving time for best flavor.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||71 g|
|Saturated Fat||13 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||19 g|
|Dietary Fiber||11 g|