If you're on a diet, you'll love this delicious Parsi dish. Fresh coconut, green chilies, coriander, and mint make it especially flavorful. It also looks gorgeous when served wrapped up in a banana leaf. Everyone at your table will love the fun of opening their own tasty little package.
- 6 pomfret steaks
- 1 fresh coconut, finely grated
- 3 green chilies
- 1 small bunch coriander leaves, (approximately 100 gms/ 0.22 lbs), roots cut off and thoroughly washed
- 1 small bunch mint, (approximately 100 gms/ 0.22 lbs), thick stems removed and thoroughly washed
- 2-inch piece of ginger
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1/2 tsp cumin powder
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 4 tbsps lemon or lime juice
- Salt to taste
- 1 large banana leaf washed thoroughly, central spine removed and cut into 6 pieces
- 1 tbsp vegetable/sunflower/canola cooking oil
- Place fish steaks on a large rimmed baking tray. Drizzle lemon/lime juice over them and sprinkle salt to taste. Turn pieces to fully coat with marinade. Set aside for 20 minutes.
- In a blender, add coconut, chilies, coriander and mint leaves, ginger and garlic, cumin and turmeric powders, and salt. Blend to a smooth paste. Add as little water as possible, if necessary.
- Divide paste into 2 portions, and use each portion to fully coat the pieces of fish on each side. Set aside.
- Pat dry the banana leaf pieces and smear lightly with oil on the smooth side. Place one piece of fish in the center of each piece of leaf and wrap into a neat parcel. Tie with twine or cotton string.
- Cook in a steamer for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Place each piece in the center of a plate and serve immediately.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||55 g|
|Saturated Fat||33 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||14 g|
|Dietary Fiber||11 g|