This green pea salad is as pretty as it is flavorful, with bright green peas, shredded carrots, red bell pepper, red onion, and celery. Use a combination of red, yellow, and orange bell pepper for even more color.
Serve this salad with any summer meal or cookout, or take it along to a potluck event or picnic.
- 4 cups fresh or frozen green peas
- 1 small carrot (shredded)
- 1/2 red bell pepper (finely chopped)
- 1 red onion (finely chopped, about 1 cup)
- 1/2 cup celery (finely chopped)
- 1/2 cup light or regular ranch-style dressing
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 teaspoon dried leaf oregano
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
Gather the ingredients.
Steam the peas on the stovetop or microwave oven following the package instructions. Put them in a colander and rinse under cold water to stop the cooking process.
In a large bowl, combine the cooked cooled peas with the bell pepper, onion, and celery.
In a measuring cup or small bowl, combine the ranch-style dressing, mayonnaise, and seasonings.
Stir the dressing mixture into the vegetables and stir until well coated.
Chill the salad for at least 2 hours before serving.
Serve and enjoy!
- Make this a few hours in advance and chill thoroughly for best flavor.
The salad ingredients are adaptable as well.
- Add some diced cooked bacon to the salad for a smoky flavor
- Make it with about 1/2 cup of shredded mild or sharp cheddar cheese
- Chopped hard-boiled eggs are a popular addition to many kinds of salads, and would be excellent in this one. Chop or slice one or two hard-boiled eggs; stir into the salad or use as a garnish.
- For extra herb flavor, a teaspoon of chopped fresh dill or chives to the dressing mixture if you'd like.