|Nutrition Facts (per serving)|
|Servings: 5 to 6|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 18g||23%|
|Saturated Fat 3g||14%|
|Total Carbohydrate 23g||8%|
|Dietary Fiber 7g||25%|
|Total Sugars 10g|
|Vitamin C 50mg||249%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
This green pea salad is as pretty as it is flavorful, with bright green peas, shredded carrots, red bell pepper, red onion, and celery. Use a combination of red, yellow, and orange bell pepper for even more color.
Serve this salad with any summer meal or cookout, or take it along to a potluck event or picnic.
4 cups fresh or frozen green peas
1 small carrot, shredded
1/2 red bell pepper, finely chopped
1 red onion, finely chopped (about 1 cup)
1/2 cup finely chopped celery
1/2 cup light or regular ranch-style dressing
1/3 cup mayonnaise
1/4 teaspoon dried leaf oregano
1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste
Steps to Make It
Gather the ingredients.
Steam the peas on the stovetop or microwave oven following the package instructions.
Put them in a colander and rinse under cold water to stop the cooking process.
In a large bowl, combine the cooked cooled peas with the bell pepper, onion, and celery.
In a small bowl, combine the ranch-style dressing, mayonnaise, and seasonings.
Stir the dressing mixture into the vegetables and stir until well coated.
Chill the salad for at least 2 hours before serving.
- Make this a few hours in advance and chill thoroughly for best flavor.
The salad ingredients are adaptable as well.
- Add some diced cooked bacon to the salad for a smoky flavor
- Make it with about 1/2 cup of shredded mild or sharp cheddar cheese
- Chopped hard-boiled eggs are a popular addition to many kinds of salads, and would be excellent in this one. Chop or slice one or two hard-boiled eggs; stir into the salad or use as a garnish.
- For extra herb flavor, a teaspoon of chopped fresh dill or chives to the dressing mixture if you'd like.