This slow cooker pea soup gets extra flavor from diced bacon, and the crock pot makes it easy to prepare. feel free to vary the vegetables. Add cubed potatoes to the soup or add more onion and carrots. Top it off with some finely minced ham, fresh chopped herbs, or crumbled bacon, if desired. This is a fantastically easy recipe to make for a cold summer's night.
- 8 slices bacon (diced)
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 ribs celery (chopped)
- 8 cups boiling water
- 1 pound split dried peas
- 3 sprigs parsley
- 1 teaspoon thyme (dried, leaf)
- 3 potatoes (medium, peeled and cubed)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Place all ingredients in slow cooker.
- Cover the slow cooker and cook on low for 8 to 10 hours.
- Before serving, mash the ingredients carefully with a potato masher, until as thick as you like; stir well.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||1 g|
|Saturated Fat||0 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||0 g|
|Dietary Fiber||4 g|