Moist and delicious are two words that describe this cake perfectly. The combination of the peaches with flaked coconut make up the fabulous topping. Serve the cake warm, with or without a scoop of vanilla ice cream, and expect plenty of "oohs" and "aahs."
Once you carefully invert the hot cake onto a serving platter, try to avoid moving it again. It won't affect the flavor, but it might break up if you move the whole cake or a large portion of it.
- 1 large can or jar (24 to 29 ounces) peach slices in light or regular syrup
- 8 tablespoons melted butter
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoon reserved syrup from peaches
- 1 to 1 1/2 cups sweetened flaked coconut
- For the Cake:
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 cups all-purpose flour (9 ounces)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- scant 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup milk
- Drain the peaches, reserving 2 tablespoons of the syrup.
- Add the melted butter to a 9-inch square baking pan. Add the brown sugar, reserved syrup, and coconut to the butter; stir and spread to evenly cover the bottom of the pan. Arrange peach slices, cut side up, over the coconut mixture.
- Heat the oven to 350 F.
- In mixing bowl with an electric mixer, beat 1/2 cup softened butter until light and fluffy. Beat in granulated sugar until fluffy. Add eggs; blend well. Blend in vanilla.
- In another bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Gradually beat the dry ingredients into the creamed mixture, alternating with the milk. Beat on medium speed for about 2 minutes.
- Spoon the batter evenly over peaches and then spread to cover.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 40 to 50 minutes, or until a wooden pick or cake tester inserted in center comes out with no cake batter clinging.
- Cool in pan for 5 to 8 minutes before inverting onto serving plate.
- To invert the cake onto the plate, gently run a knife along sides of the pan. Cover the cake pan with the serving plate. Using pot holders or oven mitts and both hands, carefully turn it over so the cake will easily drop onto the plate in one piece. If some of the peach topping mixture sticks to the pan, scrape it out onto the cake.
- Slice and serve the cake warm with whipped topping or ice cream.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||37 g|
|Saturated Fat||21 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||11 g|
|Dietary Fiber||4 g|