|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
This peach cake is like an upside-down cobbler with a rich sweetened cream cheese topping. (So, there's no need to top this peach dessert with extra cream!) The bottom crust, even though it is fully cooked, stays quite moist from the sliced peaches. This recipe uses canned peaches, but if it is peach season, by all means, use fresh. You will need about six peaches to make this cake.
- 1 (28-ounce) can sliced peaches
- 3/4 cup self-rising flour
- 1 (3.4-ounce) package vanilla pudding mix (instant)
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter (softened)
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup milk
- 8 ounces cream cheese (softened)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
Heat the oven to 350 F. Grease a deep dish pie plate or 1 1/2-quart casserole dish.
Place a fine-mesh sieve over a bowl and drain the peaches. Set the peaches and the reserved liquids aside.
In a bowl with an electric mixer, mix the flour, instant pudding, softened butter, egg, and milk until smooth and blended. Spread the batter over the bottom of the prepared pie plate or baking dish. Arrange the drained peaches over batter.
In another bowl, beat the cream cheese, sugar, and 3 tablespoons of the reserved peach juice until smooth, about 2 minutes.
Spread the cream cheese mixture over peaches, leaving a 1-inch border.
In a small bowl, combine the cinnamon and sugar and then sprinkle over cream cheese mixture.
Bake the peach dessert for 45 minutes in the preheated oven, or until the topping is lightly browned and set.
Cool before serving. Store leftovers in the refrigerator.
- If you don't have self-rising flour, you can make your own. Add about 1 1/4 teaspoons of baking powder and about 1/8 teaspoon of salt to 3/4 cup of all-purpose flour and whisk to combine.
- If you are using fresh peaches instead of canned, you may not have enough juice for the cream cheese mixture. If this is the case, you can supplement with another juice you may have on hand, or thin the mixture with a little milk.
- Replace the vanilla instant pudding with cheesecake flavor.