I have always loved Peanut Blossom Cookies. But the cookies are fussy to make. I had a brainstorm - why not try making them into a bar cookie?
I struggled with whether to use a 9" x 13" pan or a 11" X 15" jelly roll pan, but decided for the first round to go with the smaller pan. And it was perfect. These cookies are rich and soft and chewy and tender, with the best peanut butter and chocolate flavor combination. The chocolate frosting is perfect with these cookies; the combination of chocolate chips and peanut butter chips is simply perfect. It stays a bit soft and melds beautifully with the bars.
This is one of the best bar cookies I have ever made. They are now traditional for Christmas instead of the cookies. Try them!
- 3/4 cup butter (softened)
- 1/2 cup peanut butter
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup light brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups peanut butter chips (divided)
- 2 cups chocolate chips (semisweet)
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray a 13" x 9" pan with nonstick baking spray containing flour and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine butter and 1/2 cup peanut butter and mix well. Add sugar and brown sugar and beat. Then stir in the egg, milk, and vanilla.
- Measure the flour carefully, and add to the batter along with baking soda and salt. Mix well.
- Spread the dough in the prepared pan. Bake for 20-30 minutes or until the bars are just set and light golden brown. The dough will rise quite a bit at first, but then it will settle back down. When the bars are evenly colored, they are done baking.
- When you take the bars out of the oven, immediately spread them with 1 cup of the peanut butter chips. You can use the type of chips that are swirled with chocolate if you'd like.
- Put the bars on a cooling rack. You want the bars to be still warm before you add the chocolate and peanut butter chip frosting.
- Then combine the chocolate chips and 1 cup of the remaining peanut butter chips in a small microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on high for 1 minute, remove and stir. Continue microwaving for 30 second intervals, stirring after each interval, until the mixture is smooth.
- Pour this mixture over the bars and gently spread to coat. Let stand until set, then cut into bars to serve.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||23 g|
|Saturated Fat||8 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||9 g|
|Dietary Fiber||3 g|