Oh yum. As if Marshmallow Treats aren't good enough - add peanut butter to them, along with peanut butter cups, and you have a fabulously decadent treat. This is my second favorite bar cookie: Special Kay Bars are in first place.
These no bake bar cookies are a classic recipe that everyone knows about. But the peanut butter, peanut butter cups, and the optional frosting kick this recipe up to the next level.
As with all bar cookie recipes, measuring accurately is important. I add extra marshmallows to my Rice Krispie Bars because I like the bars to be chewy and not dry, although the peanut butter fixes that!
Enjoy every bite of these wonderful bar cookies.
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/3 cup peanut butter
- 1 bag large marshmallows plus 12 more marshmallows
- 6 cups crisp rice cereal
- 24 1" peanut butter cups (unwrapped)
- Gather the ingredients.
- Grease a 13 x 9" pan with butter. I don't like using cooking spray when making these bars because I don't like the flavor.
- Combine the butter, peanut butter, and marshmallows in a large microwave safe bowl. Microwave uncovered on high for 1-1/2 to 3 minutes, stirring after 1 minute, until the mixture is melted and smooth. Stir in the cereal.
- Press the mixture into prepared pan, using buttered hands (be careful, the mixture is pretty warm).
- Immediately make 24 indentations in rows in the cereal mixture using handle of wooden spoon. Press the peanut butter cups into the indentations. Let cool. Cut into squares with a candy in the center of each square.
- Or you can omit the candy, but top the bars with a mixture of 2 cups semisweet chocolate chips and 1/2 cup peanut butter, melted together, as I did in the picture. Or use the candies AND the frosting for the ultimate indulgent treat. It's still a five ingredient recipe!