For this sweet treat, you will need an ice cream maker. You can use this custard-based vanilla ice cream recipe for the base or make your own recipe. Then swirl in the peanut butter sauce for a wonderful frozen treat.
- 3 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup whole milk
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 4 egg yolks, beaten
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- Peanut Butter Sauce:
- 1/2 cup peanut butter
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar, packed
- Combine cream, milk, and sugar in a heavy saucepan.
- Heat over medium-low heat, stirring frequently, until the sugar is dissolved and the mixture is hot.
- Pour about 1 cup of the hot mixture into the beaten egg yolks, whisking constantly.
- Pour the egg mixture back into the saucepan, whisking constantly.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until the hot mixture is slightly thickened and coats the back of a spoon, about 6 minutes. Do not let this mixture boil.
- Strain through a mesh strainer into a bowl and stir in the vanilla.
- Cover and chill thoroughly. Freeze according to ice cream maker's instructions.
Peanut Butter Sauce:
- Combine the peanut butter, 1/2 cup whipping cream, 2 tablespoons corn syrup, and the 1/4 cup of brown sugar in a saucepan. Heat over low heat, stirring, until smooth and sugar is dissolved. Chill thoroughly.
- Pack the finished ice cream into a container, alternating with spoonfuls of the peanut butter mixture; swirl lightly with a knife. Freeze until the mixture is solid.
- Makes about 1 quart of ice cream.
- Save extra peanut butter sauce to use for warmed topping.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||89 g|
|Saturated Fat||48 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||26 g|
|Dietary Fiber||3 g|