Just as congee is the traditional Chinese breakfast, in Vietnam it is common to start the day with a bowl of sticky rice. This recipe for peanut sticky rice consists of peanuts cooked with sweet glutinous rice and coconut milk. It includes alternate cooking directions for those who want to steam the rice.
- 1 cup peanuts (raw)
- 2 cups glutinous rice
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon oil
- Garnish: 1/2 cup shredded coconut
- Garnish: 2 tablespoons crushed roasted peanuts (optional)
- Garnish: 2 tablespoons sesame seeds (optional)
- Soak raw peanuts and glutinous rice in two separate pans for at least three hours in warm water, or preferably overnight, then drain.
- In a saucepan, cover peanuts with water and bring to a boil. Simmer for 20 minutes.
- Using a nonstick saucepan, combine cooked peanuts, rice, water, coconut milk, salt and oil and bring to a boil. Immediately turn down the heat and stir gently. Cover tightly.
- Turn the heat to very low and cook until all water is absorbed - about 20 minutes. Before serving, fluff rice with chopsticks or a fork.
- If using a steamer, omit water. Combine cooked peanuts, rice, peanuts, coconut milk, salt, and oil. Steam 20 minutes over boiling water.
- Garnish with shredded coconut. If you wish, add crushed peanuts, sesame seeds, a little salt, and/or sugar to taste. This dish can be served by itself or with an entree.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||26 g|
|Saturated Fat||10 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||9 g|
|Dietary Fiber||4 g|