This tasty Pear Naked Sailor cocktail comes to us from Jonny Cimone, bar manager at Farmer Brown in San Francisco, a restaurant specializing "San Francisco soul food" using mostly local, organic, and seasonal ingredients and the cocktail menu follows suit. The Pear Naked Sailor is a seasonal cocktail that the bar program features and rotates every couple of months.
This drink is a fantastic mix of flavors that are natural companions. It begins with spiced rum, which is complemented perfectly with pear and ginger. The ginger nectar is easy to make yourself and can be as spicy or tame as you like. Keep in mind that it does need to steep overnight, but it is a great ingredient to have in the bar so it is worth the little bit of effort it requires.
- Pour the ingredients into a cocktail shaker filled with ice.
- Shake well.
- Strain over fresh ice in a collins glass.
- Float the ginger ale on top.
- Garnish with half a pear slice and a dusting of nutmeg.
Ginger Nectar Preparation:
- Using fresh ginger, peel thoroughly then slice into 1-inch chunks.
- Spread on a sheet and bake in oven at 350 for 15 minutes.
- Place ginger pieces into a storage container and add 4x its volume of hot water.
- Let steep overnight.
- Next day, scoop the ginger pieces into a blender along with some of the gingered water.
- Blend at a high setting until the ginger has been broken down and liquefied as much as possible.
- Fine strain multiple times using a muddler to press every last drop of liquid from the ginger.
- Add more of the gingered water to taste, in order to regulate the level of spice.
(Recipe Courtesy: Jonny Cimone)
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||0 g|
|Saturated Fat||0 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||0 g|
|Dietary Fiber||4 g|