- 12 pounds firm pears (about 40, peeled, cored, quartered)
- 2 green bell peppers (seeded and quartered)
- 2 red bell peppers (seeded and quartered)
- 2 pounds onions (about 7 to 8 medium, peeled and quartered)
- 5 cups white vinegar
- 4 cups sugar
- 2 1/2 tablespoons salt
- 2 tablespoons whole mixed pickling spice
- 2 tablespoons turmeric
- Using a food grinder, grind the pears, bell peppers, and onions together.
- Put the ground mixture in a colander to drain off all excess liquid.
- In a large nonreactive kettle, combine the vinegar, sugar, salt, pickling spices, and turmeric in a large kettle. Boil 10 minutes.
- Add the ground fruit and vegetables to the kettle and bring to a boil. Boil 15 minutes.
- Spoon the relish into hot sterilized jars and seal quickly.
- Process for 15 minutes in a boiling-water canner, or 20 minutes for altitudes of 1001 to 6,000 feet. Over 6,000 feet, process for 25 minutes.
- Serve the relish with roasted or grilled meats.
You Might Also Like
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||2 g|
|Saturated Fat||0 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||1 g|
|Dietary Fiber||33 g|