|Nutrition Facts (per serving)|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 2g||2%|
|Saturated Fat 0g||2%|
|Total Carbohydrate 294g||107%|
|Dietary Fiber 33g||120%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
This pear relish is delicious with pork or chicken or spread some on a sandwich.
Have all ingredients ready and prepare the jars and lids before you begin. Check out jar and food preparation for home canning for some helpful tips.
- 12 pounds firm pears (about 40, peeled, cored, quartered)
- 2 green bell peppers (seeded and quartered)
- 2 red bell peppers (seeded and quartered)
- 2 pounds onions (about 7 to 8 medium, peeled and quartered)
- 5 cups white vinegar
- 4 cups sugar
- 2 1/2 tablespoons salt
- 2 tablespoons whole mixed pickling spice
- 2 tablespoons turmeric
Gather the ingredients.
Using a food grinder, grind the pears, bell peppers, and onions together.
Put the ground mixture in a colander to drain off all excess liquid.
In a large nonreactive kettle, combine the vinegar, sugar, salt, pickling spices, and turmeric in a large kettle. Boil 10 minutes.
Add the ground fruit and vegetables to the kettle and bring to a boil. Boil 15 minutes.
Spoon the relish into hot sterilized jars and seal quickly.
Process for 15 minutes in a boiling-water canner.
Serve the relish with roasted or grilled meats.
- When canning, for altitudes of 1001 to 6,000 feet process for 20 minutes.
- Over 6,000 feet, process for 25 minutes.