- 12 pounds firm pears (about 40, peeled, cored, quartered)
- 2 green bell peppers (seeded and quartered)
- 2 red bell peppers (seeded and quartered)
- 2 pounds onions (about 7 to 8 medium, peeled and quartered)
- 5 cups white vinegar
- 4 cups sugar
- 2 1/2 tablespoons salt
- 2 tablespoons whole mixed pickling spice
- 2 tablespoons turmeric
Using a food grinder, grind the pears, bell peppers, and onions together.
Put the ground mixture in a colander to drain off all excess liquid.
In a large nonreactive kettle, combine the vinegar, sugar, salt, pickling spices, and turmeric in a large kettle. Boil 10 minutes.
Add the ground fruit and vegetables to the kettle and bring to a boil. Boil 15 minutes.
Spoon the relish into hot sterilized jars and seal quickly.
Process for 15 minutes in a boiling-water canner, or 20 minutes for altitudes of 1001 to 6,000 feet. Over 6,000 feet, process for 25 minutes.
Serve the relish with roasted or grilled meats.
You Might Also Like
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||2 g|
|Saturated Fat||0 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||1 g|
|Dietary Fiber||33 g|