|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 16g||21%|
|Saturated Fat 7g||33%|
|Total Carbohydrate 24g||9%|
|Dietary Fiber 1g||3%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
Since pecans are native to the southern United States, there are a plethora of pecan pie recipes from the South. But if you're looking for something a little different, these pecan pie cake bars are a nice twist on a holiday classic. Still including pecans, eggs, butter, sugar, and corn syrup, this quick and tasty recipe combines a yellow cake with the flavors of pecan pie to create a unique dessert that will be the talk of any sweet table.
A cake mix makes the recipe super easy to prepare. One-third of the batter is baked and then the rest is mixed with the pecan pie ingredients and finished in the oven. The result is a pan of delicious sweetened bars studded with pecans.
- 1 (15 1/4-ounce) package yellow cake mix
- 4 large eggs (divided)
- 1/2 cup melted butter
- 1 1/2 cups light corn syrup
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar (packed)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups chopped pecans
Gather the ingredients.
Heat the oven to 325 F (162 C).
Grease and flour a 9 x 13 x 2-inch baking pan.
Combine the cake mix, 1 of the eggs, and melted butter until well blended. Remove 2/3 cup of the batter and set aside. Spread the remaining batter in the prepared pan. Bake for 15 minutes, or until lightly browned.
Meanwhile, mix the reserved 2/3 cup of batter with the corn syrup, remaining 3 eggs, brown sugar, vanilla, and chopped pecans. Pour the pecan filling over the baked crust and return to the oven. Bake for about 50 minutes longer, until set.
Cool and cut into squares.
How to Store Pecan Pie Cake Bars
Once cut and cooled, the pecan pie cake bars should be stored in the refrigerator to keep their firm texture; they will stay fresh-tasting for up to four days. Bring to room temperature before serving. You can also freeze them, where they will last up to two months wrapped well. Thaw in the refrigerator or in an oven set on low before serving.
- To make measuring the corn syrup easier, spray the measuring cup with cooking spray before pouring it in; this way, the corn syrup will slide out easily into the bowl.
- It's important to let the bars cool completely before cutting into squares. Since the pecan topping has a gooey texture, it will be more difficult to cleanly cut through if it is still warm. To speed up the process, chill it in the refrigerator.
- Another popular way to make this pecan pie cake is with a butter pecan cake mix. Betty Crocker's brand can be found online and in some supermarkets.
- Add some chocolate chips to the pecan mixture for a chocolate pecan pie flavor.