These scrumptious little cookies are like bite-sized pecans pies. The method is simple and easy. It would make a great project for children. If your holiday plans include making batches of cookies to serve or give as gifts, these cookies can be a family project. They can be frozen if you want to make them ahead and serve later.
Do plan ahead for the chilling time when you are making this recipe. The dough must be chilled for an hour after you make it, and then the pecan filling must be chilled for 30 minutes.
- 1 cup butter (softened)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup dark corn syrup
- 2 large eggs (separated)
- 2 1/2 cups flour (all-purpose)
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/2 cup sugar (powdered)
- 3 tablespoons dark corn syrup
- 3/4 cup pecans (finely chopped)
- Beat 1 cup butter and sugar at medium speed with an electric mixer until light and fluffy.
- Add 1/2 cup corn syrup and egg yolks, beating well.
- Gradually stir in flour. Cover and chill for 1 hour in the refrigerator.
- Melt 1/4 cup butter in a heavy saucepan over medium heat; stir in powdered sugar and 3 tablespoons corn syrup.
- Cook, stirring often until the mixture boils. Remove from heat. Stir in pecans; chill 30 minutes.
- Shape mixture by 1/2 teaspoonfuls into 1/4-inch balls; set these aside as they won't be used until after the cookies are baked from the dough prepared in the first step.
- Preheat the oven to 375 F.
- Shape the cookie dough that has been chilling for an hour into 1-inch balls; place each ball 2 inches apart on lightly greased baking sheets.
- Beat the egg whites until foamy; brush them on the dough balls.
- Bake the cookie dough balls at 375 F for 6 minutes.
- Remove the cookies from the from oven and place a pecan ball in the center of each cookie.
- Bake 8 to 10 more minutes or until lightly browned. Let cool 5 minutes on baking sheets.
- Remove the cookies to wire racks and cool them completely.
You can freeze these cookies for up to one month if desired. But you may be too tempted to simply start eating them as soon as they have cooled enough to not burn your mouth.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||25 g|
|Saturated Fat||12 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||9 g|
|Dietary Fiber||1 g|