This absolutely delicious snack mix, ironically called "People Puppy Chow" because it kind of looks like kibble is one of my favorites. People gobble it up - well, like puppies gobble puppy chow!
The mix is sweet and salty, with crisp cereal coated with peanut butter and chocolate, then coated again in powdered sugar. The combination of textures and flavors is irresistible. You could add some tiny whole pecans to this recipe, or try cashew halves. It would also be wonderful with several different kinds of crisp cereal.
The recipe is very easy to make too! In fact, your kids will love to make this. And it keeps well, stored at room temperature in an airtight container, up to a week. After that time, the creamy chocolate mixture will absorb into the cereal and it won't be as crisp.
We like to give this recipe as holiday gifts to friends. It's also a great gift for your postman or delivery person. Put it in a nice tin with a label and instructions on how to make their own!
- In a medium microwave-safe bowl, combine the butter, peanut butter and chocolate chips and microwave on high for 2 to 3 minutes, stirring once during cooking, until mixture is melted and smooth.
- Place the cereal in another large bowl and pour the melted chocolate mixture over the cereal. Stir with a large metal or wooden spoon until the cereal is thoroughly coated.
- Pour the powdered sugar into a large plastic food bag. Pour the coated cereal into the powdered sugar in the bag and shake until it is well covered with the sugar.
- Pour the cereal onto wax paper on the counter to cool and dry.
- Store in tightly covered containers at room temperature.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||15 g|
|Saturated Fat||7 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||5 g|
|Dietary Fiber||2 g|