|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 45g||58%|
|Saturated Fat 18g||88%|
|Total Carbohydrate 0g||0%|
|Dietary Fiber 0g||1%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
Beef rib roast isn't an inexpensive cut of meat, but it's so delectable that it's worth the cost, particularly when it's a special occasion. The seasonings here are simple — just a hint of cayenne and two kinds of pepper for some heat. Feel free to add a bit more cayenne if you are partial to spicy foods, or add about 1 teaspoon of Cajun or Creole seasoning to the seasoning mixture.
If you have leftovers, the pepper-crusted roast beef provides meals for the next three nights. The first night, you can slice the roast and serve it with mashed potatoes and optional pan gravy. The second and third nights, slice the beef thinly for sandwiches or dice it to make a tasty hash or leftover roast beef casserole.
- For the Roast
- 5 1/2 to 6 pounds beef rib roast
- 1 tablespoon Kosher salt (to taste)
- 1 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon oil
- For the Pan Gravy
- 6 tablespoons fat (from pan drippings)
- Butter (as needed)
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 to 3 1/2 cups low-sodium beef stock
Note: while there are multiple steps to this recipe, this roast is broken down into workable categories to help you better plan for preparation and cooking.
Make the Roast Beef
Gather the ingredients.
To ensure even cooking, tie the roast with kitchen string to make it a consistent thickness; otherwise, any thin, flat ends will become overcooked. Pat the meat dry with paper towels.
Combine the salt, black pepper, white pepper, and cayenne pepper and rub it over surfaces of the meat. For best results, do this 24 hours before cooking, and then cover the meat and refrigerate.
Remove the meat about 45 minutes to an hour before cooking to bring it to room temperature.
Preheat the oven to 250 F.
Place the oil in a large, heavy skillet over medium-high heat. Brown meat for about 8 minutes, or about 2 minutes on each of its four sides.
Place the meat on a wire rack in a shallow roasting pan, fat side up.
Roast the meat for 45 minutes per pound for a medium roast. Check the internal temperature by inserting an instant-read meat thermometer into the thickest part of the meat. Check the temperature frequently as you near the cooking time until meat reaches the desired degree of doneness (120 F to 125 F for rare; 130 F to 135 F for medium-rare; 135 F to 130 F for medium; 140 F to 145 F for medium-well).
Cover the roast with foil and let it stand for about 20 minutes. The meat temperature will rise 5 to 10 degrees while it is resting.
Make the Gravy
Gather the ingredients.
To make the gravy, drain the pan drippings into a saucepan and place it over medium-low heat. If necessary, add butter to make 5 tablespoons of fat.
Add 6 tablespoons of flour and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes.
Add the beef stock and continue cooking until thickened, stirring constantly.
Taste the gravy and season with salt and pepper as desired.
Serve over the the sliced roast beef and enjoy!
- The USDA recommends a minimum safe internal temperature of 145 F for a beef roast.
- When checking the temperature, insert the thermometer in the thickest part of the meat.
- Budget-Friendly Variation: Buy the same weight of a less-expensive meat, such as eye of round or top round. Season it with the salt and pepper about 12 to 24 hours before cooking and refrigerate it until it's time to cook. This seasoning helps tenderize it. The beef is then roasted at a low heat, which allows the meat's enzymes to break down its tough connective tissue, tenderizing the meat.
- Herb-Crusted Rib Roast: Instead of just salt and pepper, rub the roast with a combination of 2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme, 2 tablespoons chopped fresh rosemary, 1/4 cup of mixed-color ground peppercorns, and 3 tablespoons kosher salt.