Eye of round roast is an economical cut of meat — meaning that it's budget-friendly — but it can also be tough and chewy if not cooked properly. Usually that means low and slow, but in this case, you should start the roast at a high heat (around 500 degrees F) and cook it for about 18 to 20 minutes. Then, do something crazy—turn off the oven and walk away for 2 to 2 1/2 hours. When you come back, the roast will be perfectly cooked with a nice crust and juicy, pink center.
- 1 eye of round roast, about 3 to 3 1/2 pounds
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon cracked black pepper or coarsely ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon Cajun-style seasoning
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Line a roasting or baking pan with foil.
- Put the roast in the lined baking pan, fattiest side up.
- Combine the salt, cracked black pepper, Cajun-style seasoning, garlic, and olive oil in a small bowl and blend thoroughly. Rub the roast all over with the mixture.
- Let the roast stand at room temperature for 20 to 30 minutes or refrigerate for 1 to 3 hours. If refrigerating, take it out about 20 to 30 minutes before roasting to bring it up to room temperature.
- Heat the oven to 500 degrees F (260 degrees C).
- Roast for 6 minutes per pound.
- Turn the oven off and leave the roast for 2 hours, resisting the urge to open the oven door and let the heat escape. After 2 hours, use a meat thermometer to check the internal temperature, which should be approximately 130 degrees F.
- Remove the roast from the oven and let it rest for at least 20 minutes. Slice the roast thinly against the grain to serve.
- Eye of round roast is best when it's cooked to medium-rare, which is a range between 130 degrees F and 135 degrees F (54.4 degrees C or 57.2 degrees C). Remember, the roast continues to cook from residual heat, so it's important to take it out of the oven once it hits 130 degrees F.
- If using a gas oven, don't turn it off entirely—these types of oven don't retain heat as well as electric versions. Keep it on the lowest setting, around 170 degrees F, and check it every 30 minutes for doneness.
- Marinated Eye of Round Roast: Combine 1 cup beef broth, 1 tablespoon vegetable oil, 2 tablespoons red wine, 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce, 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar, and 1 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning in a zipper-locking plastic bag. Add the roast and close the bag, removing the air in the process. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours before discarding the marinade and beginning the cooking process.
- Brined Eye of Round Roast: In a large saucepan, combine 1 cup water with 1/4 cup sugar, 1/4 cup salt, and 2 tablespoons ground black pepper. Bring the mixture to a boil, stirring to dissolve the sugar. Reduce the heat and let the mixture simmer for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and add 3 cups of ice water. Pour the water mixture into a zipper-locking plastic bag, add the roast and close the bag, removing all air. Refrigerate overnight, and then discard the brine and begin the cooking process.