Cracked black pepper, fresh garlic, and Cajun seasoning flavor this lean eye of round beef roast. If you have some flavored olive oil, this is an excellent use for it.
The beef is roasted for a short time at a high temperature, then it is left in the closed oven to finish cooking.
- 1 eye of round roast, about 3 to 3 1/2 pounds
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon cracked black pepper or coarsely ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon Cajun-style seasoning
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Line a roasting or baking pan with foil.
- Put the roast in the lined baking pan, fattiest side up.
- Combine the remaining ingredients in a small bowl and blend thoroughly. Rub the roast all over with the mixture.
- Let the roast stand at room temperature for 20 to 30 minutes or refrigerate for 1 to 3 hours. If refrigerating, take it out about 20 to 30 minutes before roasting to bring it up to room temperature.
- Heat the oven to 500 F (260 C/Gas 10).
- Roast for 6 minutes per pound for medium.
- Turn the oven off (do not open the oven door) and leave the roast for 2 hours.
Beef Temperature Chart
- Rare: 120 F to 125 F (48.9 C to 51.6 C)
- Medium-rare: 130 F to 135 F (54.4 C to 57.2 C)
- Medium: 140 F to 145 F (60 C to 62.8 C)
- Medium-well: 150 F to 155 F (65.5 C to 68.3 C)
- Well done: 160 F (71.1 C) and above
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||33 g|
|Saturated Fat||12 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||14 g|
|Dietary Fiber||1 g|