Did you know you can make your own homemade Peppermint Patties? It's true--they're easy to make, and because they're made fresh and use simple ingredients, they taste much better than the store-bought kind!
These luscious copycat candies are made with dark chocolate and a creamy, minty center. They're smooth and refreshing, and entirely addicting! Extra dark chocolate (72%) provides a wonderful contrast between the bitter chocolate and the refreshing mint, but you can use any chocolate you love.
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1.5 tablespoons butter (softened)
- 2 teaspoons peppermint extract
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons cream
- 1 1/2 cups dark chocolate (chopped)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable shortening (or coconut oil)
- Prepare a cookie by lining it with aluminum foil or waxed paper.
- In a mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat together the sugar, butter, extracts, and cream on low speed.
- Once combined, raise speed to medium-high and beat for an additional 30-60 seconds until the mixture holds together very well and is creamy, not powdery. It should have the texture of Play-Doh--smooth but not sticky. If the candy seems too sticky, add more powdered sugar as necessary until it's easy to work with.
- If your kitchen is warm or your candy is too soft to roll, place it in the refrigerator to set for about 20 minutes.
- Using a teaspoon, roll the candy into small balls and flatten them on the waxed paper with the palm of your hand. Repeat for remaining candies.
- Place in the refrigerator to chill for 20 minutes.
- Melt the chopped chocolate and the shortening in the microwave or over a double boiler, and stir until fully incorporated.
- Using dipping tools or two dinner forks, dip the patties into the chocolate one by one. Drag them across the lip of the bowl to remove any excess chocolate, and replace them on the cookie sheet. Once all chocolates are dipped, put them in the refrigerator until the chocolate is set.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||3 g|
|Saturated Fat||2 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||1 g|
|Dietary Fiber||0 g|