|Nutrition Facts (per serving)|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 20g||25%|
|Saturated Fat 12g||62%|
|Total Carbohydrate 49g||18%|
|Dietary Fiber 2g||8%|
|Total Sugars 42g|
|Vitamin C 0mg||0%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
The peppermint patty is a delicious cocktail that's sure to tantalize your sweet tooth. While there are a number of ways to make this drink, they all involve the yummy combination of chocolate and peppermint found in the little candies.
This particular recipe is a modern rendition of the popular cocktail. It combines chocolate vodka with peppermint schnapps and a cream liqueur such as RumChata. Shaken then served on the rocks, it's a creamy, sweet drink that might just be a little too good.
If you don't have the vodka and cream liqueur in stock, don't worry. The peppermint patty was around for many years prior to those two spirits hitting the market, so you can turn to one of the drink's retro recipes. These typically use crème de cacao for the chocolate liqueur, and you can substitute crème de menthe or Irish cream. If you prefer to skip the cream, you'll have an equally delicious peppermint patty, too.
2 ounces chocolate vodka
3/4 ounce cream liqueur
1/2 ounce peppermint schnapps
Peppermint patty candy, for garnish
Gather the ingredients.
In a cocktail shaker, pour the vodka, cream liqueur, and peppermint schnapps. Fill with ice.
Garnish with peppermint patty candy. Serve and enjoy.
- One old-school peppermint patty stirs 1 1/2 ounces each of white crème de cacao and white crème de menthe in an ice-filled old-fashioned glass.
- Another popular creamy mix combines 1 ounce each of peppermint schnapps and dark crème de cacao with 2 ounces cream in an ice-filled old-fashioned glass. Give it a couple of good shakes by placing a mixing tin or glass over the drink.
- Use an unflavored vodka and add 1/2 ounce of chocolate liqueur.
- Irish cream is a good substitute for either RumChata or cream.
- The peppermint patty is fabulous when served up in a cocktail glass.
- Heat up the mint-chocolate combo using the hot peppermint patty recipe.
- For a fun party drink, try the peppermint patty shot.
- Always strain shaken cocktails over fresh ice. The ice in the shaker is broken down and will over dilute the drink.
- When using crème de menthe as a substitute, the white (or clear) version is preferred. Using green crème de menthe gives the drink a green color, which distinguishes this drink from a grasshopper.
How Strong Is the Peppermint Patty Cocktail?
The peppermint patty made with chocolate vodka is rather strong, weighing in at 23 percent ABV (46 proof). If you choose to mix up one of the older versions, they're much milder and fall between 7 percent to 13 percent ABV (14 to 26 proof), which is similar to wine. Also, some peppermint schnapps is 100 proof, which will create an even stronger drink. The peppermint patty's delicious taste can easily make you forget that it packs a punch.