There are a number of different ways to make a Peppermint Patty and they all involve that wonderful combination of chocolate and peppermint, just like the little candies. This is a delicious set of cocktails and they're equally tempting.
Which recipe you decide to mix up is going to depend greatly on what's in stock in your liquor cabinet. The great news is that each drink takes very little effort and mix up quickly, requiring just a minute or two of your time.
We will begin with a modern rendition of this very popular cocktail. It's one that combines those yummy chocolate vodkas that have inundated the liquor shelves in the last few years. To that, we add the always useful peppermint schnapps and the new fan favorite among cream liqueurs, RumChata. When it all comes together, the drink is deliciously creamy, sweet, and maybe just a little too good.
- Pour the ingredients into a cocktail shaker filled with ice.
- Shake well.
- Strain into an old-fashioned glass filled with fresh ice.
More Ways to Make a Peppermint Patty
If you would like to take a more classic approach to the Peppermint Patty, try one of these recipes. They have been around for decades and never fail to satiate the drinker's sweet tooth. Both are served on the rocks in a short glass and are just as easy to mix up.
The first Peppermint Patty skips the cream altogether but retains the mint-chocolate combo in a slightly drier form. The second is simply another way to create the same creamy recipe above. Yet, with the absence of vodka and the use of real cream instead of a liqueur, the resulting cocktail is much less potent.
- A Light Peppermint Patty - Mix 1 1/2 ounces each white crème de cacao and white crème de menthe in an ice-filled old-fashioned glass and stir.
- A Light and Creamy Peppermint Patty - Mix 1 ounce each peppermint schnapps and dark crème de cacao with 2 ounces cream in an ice-filled old-fashioned glass. Give it one or two good shakes by placing a mixing tin or glass over the drink.
If you're looking for a different style of Peppermint Patty, the next two recipes are definitely worth checking out. One is a warm and comforting winter sipper and the other is a tasty party shot. Either make a great choice when it comes to getting you mint-chocolate fix.
- Hot Peppermint Patty - Add the refreshing flavor of mint to your hot chocolate via peppermint schnapps and ramp up the chocolate with a little chocolate liqueur. It's perfect for a cold winter night.
- Peppermint Patty Shooter - Bring this popular cocktail into the world of party shots with one of these fun and easy recipes. The same great flavors remain and, once again, you have a few recipes to choose from.
How Strong Are the Peppermint Patty Cocktails?
Let's take a look at how the three Peppermint Patty recipes that are served on the rocks stack up when it comes to their alcohol content.
As you might imagine, the featured recipe is a bit more potent because it's made entirely of liquor, but any of the three remain on the lighter side of mixed drinks.
- Vodka Peppermint Patty - 23% ABV (46 proof)
- Light Peppermint Patty - 13% ABV (26 proof)
- Cream Peppermint Patty - 7% ABV (14 proof)
These alcohol content estimates assume that you pour a 70-proof chocolate vodka and 30-proof liqueurs (with the exception of the 27.5-proof RumChata). Your cocktail's strength may vary slightly depending on your choice of spirits.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||0 g|
|Saturated Fat||0 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||0 g|
|Dietary Fiber||0 g|