|Nutrition Facts (per serving)|
|Servings: 1 to 2|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 0g||0%|
|Saturated Fat 0g||0%|
|Total Carbohydrate 10g||4%|
|Dietary Fiber 0g||0%|
|Total Sugars 10g|
|Vitamin C 0mg||0%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
The peppermint patty is one of the most popular peppermint schnapps shots. It is a creamy, mint-chocolate drink that replicates the tantalizing flavor of peppermint patty candies. When those little treats are converted into a shot glass, it is equally tasty—maybe just a little too good!
This shooter is a hit at any party, and it's easy to make. Whether you use peppermint schnapps or crème de menthe with crème de cacao or chocolate vodka, or simply want to mix it up in your own mouth, there are plenty of options available. However, this recipe is one of the most popular around, and it's an absolutely delicious mix.
1/2 ounce crème de cacao liqueur
1/2 ounce peppermint schnapps
1 ounce Irish cream liqueur
Steps to Make It
Gather the ingredients.
In a cocktail shaker filled with ice, pour the crème de cacao, peppermint schnapps, and cream.
Strain into 1 large or 2 small shot glasses.
Serve and enjoy.
- This drink mixes up well when stirred rather than shaken.
- To really highlight the cooling mint-chocolate flavor, serve it in a frosty shot glass.
- Use either dark or white (clear) crème de cacao. The flavor will remain the same, though the shot's color will be slightly different.
- For a peppermint patty, all you really need is a chocolate ingredient and a mint ingredient. Use crème de menthe instead of peppermint schnapps, or pour another chocolate liqueur.
- Switch to another cream liqueur or use dairy cream or your favorite milk. You can also skip the cream completely and combine 1 ounce each of the chocolate and mint liqueurs.
- Another peppermint patty makes use of chocolate vodka: Shake 1 ounce of chocolate vodka, 1/2 ounce each of Irish cream and peppermint schnapps with ice—strain into a shot glass.
- One version is an interactive shot and more of a boozy mouthwash (similar to a cement mixer but better tasting): Fill a shot glass with chilled peppermint schnapps, squirt chocolate syrup directly into your mouth, drink the shot of schnapps, and shake your head to mix the flavors before swallowing.
- If you like the flavor combination, there are other ways to serve a peppermint patty. Try one of the slow and refreshing peppermint patty lowball recipes, or warm things up with a hot peppermint patty.
How Strong Is a Peppermint Patty Shooter?
For the most part, this shot uses low-proof liqueurs, but your choice of peppermint schnapps can make a big difference. Some schnapps is just 30 proof, while others—like Rumple Minze—are a whopping 100 proof. A peppermint patty made with the lighter option will be around 16 percent ABV (32 proof). Pouring Rumple Minze creates a shot that's 31 percent ABV (62 proof).
What liquor goes with peppermint schnapps?
Peppermint schnapps makes an appearance in many drink recipes, and it's most often paired with a chocolate liqueur. Vodka and whiskey are the best liquors for the mint-chocolate flavor and can give this shot a nice kick. Brandy works surprisingly well; pour that without the cream, and you'll have a snowball shooter.
How long does peppermint schnapps last?
Like all liquors, peppermint schnapps has a very long shelf life. Most—particularly the higher-proof brands—will last for years after the bottle is open. Store it in a cool place out of sunlight and make sure the bottle is sealed. When exposed to air, heat, or too much light, it may begin to lose some flavor but remain safe to drink. If you notice any off smell or taste or sugar crystallization, it is best to replace the bottle.