The peppermint patty is a popular creamy, mint-chocolate shot that can be made in a variety of ways. The goal is to replicate that delicious, tempting flavor of peppermint patty candies. When those little treats are converted into a shot glass, it is equally tasty and maybe just a little too good!
This popular shooter is a hit at any party. There are three elements you need to make it: chocolate, mint, and cream. Whether you use peppermint schnapps or crème de menthe with crème de cacao or chocolate vodka, or simply want to mix it up in your own mouth, there are plenty of options available. This recipe is, however, one of the most popular around and it's an absolutely delicious mix.
- 1/2 ounce crème de cacao
- 1/2 ounce peppermint schnapps
- 1 ounce cream (or Irish cream)
Gather the ingredients.
In a mixing glass filled with ice, pour the ingredients.
Strain into a shot glass.
Serve and enjoy!
- If you prefer, shake the shot rather than stirring it. You might find that the cream mixes a little better with the extra agitation.
- To really highlight the cooling mint-chocolate flavor of this shot, serve it in a frosty shot glass.
- While it's a relatively gentle shot because it uses low-proof liqueurs, your choice in peppermint schnapps can make a big difference. Some schnapps are just 15 percent ABV (30 proof), but others—like Rumple Minze—are a whopping 50 percent ABV (100 proof).
- There are two types of crème de cacao: dark and white (clear). If you use the dark variety, your shot will have a light brown color; with white crème de cacao, it will be the color of your cream.
- One simple version of the peppermint patty is an interactive shot. It's more of a boozy mouthwash that's similar to the way you would take a cement mixer (this one tastes better, though). Begin by filling a shot glass with chilled peppermint schnapps. When you're ready for the shot, squirt chocolate syrup directly into your mouth. Take the shot of schnapps and shake your head to mix the flavors before swallowing.
- Another peppermint patty makes use of a chocolate vodka, such as Van Gogh Dutch Chocolate or Pinnacle Chocolate Whipped. Simply shake 1 ounce chocolate vodka, 1/2 ounce each of Irish cream and peppermint schnapps, and ice. Strain into a shot glass and enjoy.
- There are a number of other options for a peppermint patty. All you really need is a chocolate ingredient and a mint ingredient. For instance, you can use crème de menthe instead of peppermint schnapps or pour another chocolate liqueur like Godiva, Dorda, or Mozart rather than crème de cacao. Add a cream liqueur if you like or skip the cream completely.
- The liqueurs in the peppermint patty are relatively mild. If you'd like to give your shot a kick, add a stronger liquor. Vodka and whiskey are two excellent options that do very well with the mint-chocolate flavor. Brandy is pretty delicious as well and if you opt for that, you're actually making a snowball shooter.
- If you like the flavor combination, there are other ways to make a peppermint patty. You might want to try one of the slow and refreshing peppermint patty lowball recipes or warm things up with a hot peppermint patty. No matter which way you take it, this is a great tasting drink!