|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Servings: Serves 4|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 9g||12%|
|Saturated Fat 4g||19%|
|Total Carbohydrate 14g||5%|
|Dietary Fiber 1g||2%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
This vanilla French toast recipe is wonderful with thicker slices of bread, such as "Texas Toast." Or, use a brioche bread or challah.
Serve this French toast with fresh fruit or berries and sausages or bacon for a full, hearty breakfast. Sprinkle with some ground cinnamon or cinnamon sugar, or drizzle with maple syrup or golden cane syrup.
This would be delicious with vanilla bean paste, as well, or add a little cinnamon to the egg mixture.
- 3 large eggs
- 2/3 cup milk
- 2 to 3 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Pinch of salt
- 6 to 8 slices bread
In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, sugar, vanilla, and salt.
Dip bread slices in the mixture, turning to coat both sides.
Grease a griddle or skillet or spray with nonstick cooking spray; heat over medium heat.
Cook the French toast slices for about 3 to 4 minutes on each side, or until nicely browned.
Serve this French toast with butter and maple syrup, cane syrup, or a fruit syrup.
- Challah, brioche, French bread, and Italian bread are excellent choices for French toast. Raisin bread, cinnamon bread, and other flavored bread are good choices as well.
- To keep the French toast warm while making more, keep it in a preheated 200 F oven until all of the French toast is ready.
- Make several batches and freeze it for convenient breakfasts throughout the month. Spread the cooled French toast out on a baking sheet and place the pan in the freezer. When the pieces are frozen, place them in containers or freezer bags, separated by pieces of wax paper. Reheat frozen French toast in a skillet or pop it in the toaster.
- For lighter French toast, us 1/4 cup of egg substitute for each whole egg, or replace one or all of the eggs with 3 egg whites per egg.
- For maple flavor, replace half of the milk with pure maple syrup.