Lots of cheddar cheese inside and on top make this a delicious, creamy macaroni and cheese. Serve this casserole as a main dish with a salad or serve it as a side dish.
- 8 ounces macaroni
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup flour (all-purpose)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper (ground)
- 1 cup half-and-half or light cream
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard (or a spicy brown mustard)
- 2 1/2 to 3 cups Cheddar cheese (shredded)
- 1 cup soft bread crumbs (tossed with 1 1/2 tablespoons melted butter)
- Heat oven to 375 F. Grease a 2-quart baking dish.
- Cook macaroni in boiling salted water following package directions. Drain in a colander and rinse with hot water.
- In a medium saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Stir in flour until smooth and bubbly. Continue cooking and stirring for 1 minute.
- Add the salt, pepper, half-and-half or light cream, and milk and cook, stirring constantly, until thickened.
- Add mustard and 2 cups of the cheese. Continue cooking, stirring, until cheese is melted.
- Combine the sauce mixture with the drained macaroni.
- Spoon into the prepared baking dish and top with the remaining 1/2 to 1 cup of shredded cheese.
- Scatter the buttered bread crumbs evenly over the cheese layer.
- Bake for about 25 minutes, until lightly browned and bubbly.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||66 g|
|Saturated Fat||38 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||18 g|
|Dietary Fiber||4 g|