|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Servings: 4 to 6|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 25g||32%|
|Saturated Fat 5g||26%|
|Total Carbohydrate 59g||22%|
|Dietary Fiber 4g||15%|
|Total Sugars 2g|
|Vitamin C 3mg||13%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
This turkey salad makes delicious sandwiches with your favorite rolls, buns, or bread. Serve turkey salad sandwiches with chips, fries, or a cup of soup for a delicious lunch or supper.
Lemon juice and a little chopped red onion add flavor to this easy, basic turkey salad while the optional parsley gives it color. It's a great way to use leftover turkey or bake a turkey breast or turkey tenderloins for this salad.
The turkey salad is delicious on toasted sub rolls, bulkie rolls, or hamburger buns with lettuce and sliced tomatoes. As a low carb option, you can always leave the bread out and serve it as a simple luncheon salad on lettuce leaves, baby spinach, or fresh spring greens. Slices of avocado, sliced pickles, or tomatoes would be excellent with the salad.
Serve sandwiches with potato chips or fries and sliced dill pickles for a delicious lunch or sandwich supper.
1 cup diced celery
1/2 cup finely chopped red onion
4 cups cooked turkey, diced
1 tablespoon parsley, chopped, optional
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
Kosher salt, to taste
Lettuce leaves, optional
8 to 12 slices bread or sandwich rolls, toasted if desired
Gather the ingredients.
In a large bowl, combine celery, onion, turkey, and parsley, if using.
Toss to blend ingredients.
In a small bowl, combine lemon juice, 1/2 cup mayonnaise, and freshly ground black pepper.
Stir into turkey mixture until blended, adding more mayonnaise if needed. Add salt, to taste.
Line slices of bread or rolls with lettuce leaves, if desired, and fill with turkey mixture.
- If you don't have leftover turkey, bake some turkey tenderloins or a simple boneless turkey breast.
- To roast turkey tenderloins, place a large sheet of foil in a baking pan. Place turkey tenderloins on the foil with a few slices of onions and a sprinkling of salt and pepper. Brush with melted butter. Wrap in the foil and bake for about 20 minutes. Check for doneness with a food thermometer. The minimum safe temperature for poultry is 165 F (73.9 C).
- Add some fresh herbs to the turkey salad mixture. Thyme, tarragon, and sage all go well with turkey.
- For Cajun flavor, replace the salt and pepper with 1 teaspoon of Cajun seasoning. Taste and adjust the seasonings, as needed.
- Add a handful of chopped toasted pecans to the turkey salad.
- Add a few tablespoons of diced cooked and drained bacon or garnish the salad with some cooked crumbled bacon.