This turkey salad makes delicious sandwiches with your favorite rolls, buns, or bread. Serve turkey salad sandwiches with chips, fries, or a cup of soup for a delicious lunch or supper.
Lemon juice and a little chopped red onion add flavor to this easy, basic turkey salad while the optional parsley gives it color. It's a great way to use leftover turkey or bake a turkey breast or turkey tenderloins for this salad (see the tips, below).
The turkey salad is delicious on toasted sub rolls, bulkie rolls, or hamburger buns with lettuce and sliced tomatoes. As a low carb option, you can always leave the bread out and serve it as a simple luncheon salad on lettuce leaves, baby spinach, or fresh spring greens . Slices of avocado, sliced pickles, or tomatoes would be excellent with the salad.
See the tips and variations for turkey cooking help and some additional ingredient and serving ideas.
- 1 cup celery (diced)
- 1/2 cup red onion (finely chopped)
- 4 cups turkey (cooked diced)
- Optional: 1 tablespoon fresh parsley (chopped)
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise (or more, to moisten)
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Salt, to taste
- Optional: lettuce leaves
- 8-12 slices of bread (or sandwich rolls, toasted if desired)
- In a large bowl, combine the celery, chopped red onion, diced turkey, and parsley, if using. Toss to blend ingredients.
- In a small bowl, combine the lemon juice, 1/2 cup mayonnaise, and freshly ground black pepper. Stir into the turkey mixture until blended, adding more mayonnaise if needed. Add salt, to taste.
- Line slices of bread or rolls with lettuce leaves, if desired, and fill with the turkey mixture.
- Serve sandwiches with potato chips or fries and sliced dill pickles for a delicious lunch or sandwich supper. Alternatively, serve the turkey salad on lettuce leaves or spring greens with sliced tomatoes or avocado wedges.
- If you don't have leftover turkey, bake some turkey tenderloins or a simple boneless turkey breast. To roast turkey tenderloins, place a large sheet of foil in a baking pan. Place turkey tenderloins on the foil with a few slices of onions and a sprinkling of salt and pepper. Brush with melted butter. Wrap in the foil and bake for about 20 minutes. Check for doneness with a food thermometer. The minimum safe temperature for poultry is 165 F (73.9 C ).
- Add some fresh herbs to the turkey salad mixture. Thyme, tarragon, and sage all go well with turkey.
- For Cajun flavor, replace the salt and pepper with 1 teaspoon of Cajun seasoning. Taste and adjust the seasonings, as needed.
- Add a handful of chopped toasted pecans to the turkey salad.
- Add a few tablespoons of diced cooked and drained bacon or garnish the salad with some cooked crumbled bacon.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||38 g|
|Saturated Fat||8 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||11 g|
|Dietary Fiber||2 g|