Pollo a la brasa is Peruvian-style rotisserie chicken that has become quite popular in the US, thanks to its unique seasoning and the delicious sauces and side dishes that accompany it.
Buying take out Peruvian chicken is a quick way to get dinner on the table. But it's easy to prepare your own roasted chicken with the same Peruvian flavor at home. This is an excellent dish for company and doesn't require much work. Add a salad and you have a great meal.
If you prefer breast meat only, try this recipe for baked pollo a la brasa chicken breasts.
- 1 whole chicken
- 3 pounds of yellow potatoes
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup vinegar
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 teaspoon chile powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano (chopped)
- 1 tablespoon
- Optional: 1/2 cup fresh mint
- Brine the chicken (optional) Soak the chicken (giblets removed) in salt water for 12 hours in the refrigerator (read about brining poultry here). Remove from salt water and rinse.
- Peel and mash the garlic, and mix it with the vinegar and the vegetable oil. Stir in the chile powder, cumin, paprika, garlic salt, and soy sauce.
- Place the chicken in a ziplock bag, and pour in the marinade. Seal the back and toss to coat the chicken with the marinade.
- Marinate chicken, refrigerated, for 12-24 hours.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Peel the potatoes and cut into small wedges.
- Place the potatoes in a roasting pan. Place the chicken, breast-side up, on top of a rack over the potatoes.
- Roast chicken uncovered for 30-45 minutes. If the skin is getting too brown, cover loosely with foil. Flip and stir the potatoes with a spatula. Continue to roast until chicken has an internal temperature of about 165 degrees, about 1 hour and a half total oven time, depending on the size of the chicken. (Read more here about how to roast chicken).
- Remove chicken from oven and let cool for 10-15 minutes before carving.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||32 g|
|Saturated Fat||6 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||17 g|
|Dietary Fiber||8 g|